Jotul look a like

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So correct me if I'm wrong, but the model is a Scandia manufacturted by Frankline Cast Products? I'm getting this stove for free, but I don't plan on hooking it up this year, but can you or someone else tell me if its a quality stove?

Frank

And do the castings/parts interchange with the copied counterparts? from Jotul, VC? I like the ornate cast stoves like that and they are even fairly cheap from Jotul. I would worry that Franklin skimped on more than just the design.

No, it is not a quality stove. Search here on Scandia for more information.

BeGreen said:

So not to be a wise guy, what techically is not so good about the stove I mentioned? Sorry to keep hound folks about this issue

Thanks
Frank

Poor and inconsistent casting quality. Poor seams and air control. Generally a second rate finishing job. Got the look but not the heart of the stoves they tried to copy.

LONDONDERRY said:
BeGreen said:

So not to be a wise guy, what techically is not so good about the stove I mentioned? Sorry to keep hound folks about this issue

Thanks
Frank

I had two dealings over 30 years with the company that made that stove and it's principals. Both times I was left holding the bag with "paid for" junk that was not able to be sold. From bondo to thin castings, Scandia had it all......

Remember those $1.69 hammers (globemaster) at the hardware store? You would try to pull a nail and the head would pull off??? That is the equiv. of the Scandia stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.