Jotul matte black painted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsil

Dec 25, 2007
western maine
Will a new jotul in the matte black paint (rather than the enamel porcelin), discolor after use? Will it need more upkeep to keep its appearance nice? Does anyone have any experience with them? Chimney sweep coming to inspect chimneys today hopefully they are sound, and my Jotul will be in before the oil man has to come again :gulp: -Doug

Yes, flat cast iron (or steel) will discolor over a heating season. Uneven heat over the surfaces changes the black to gray, dull whites, and off blacks.
If you want the stove to look fine, paint it in the spring;used to be a yearly ritual with early wood stoves.
Porcelain is durable, easy upkeep, and looks nice for the life of the stove. "Chips" are probable, but manageable if you're not careful laoding, or dropping
anything on the stove.
Stoves used to come in "any color you choose if black". Some of the Scandinavian stoves, Jotul green or Lange blue, were porcelain. The Jotul blue/black porcelain goes with any decor.

Thanks Downeast! In my other thread I mentioned the plain cast iron, after looking at the jotul catalog, I noticed it said matte black painted, and I did not know if there was a difference. Wife says blue black is the way to go. She's always right ;-)

If you can afford the enamel option (~$300 on most of the Jotul line) go for it.

My blue/black Oslo is in it's 6th heating season and looks brand new. There are a few chips in the ash pan area where I slipped with the ash pan handle (mine is removable, they changed the design recently), but otherwise this stove looks brand new when wiped down with a wet cloth.

If you do get enamel, do not put anything on top of the stove as it will discolor. If you are looking at an Oslo, I saw in the newest Jotul brochure that there is a stainless steel cook plate option that would allow you to cook on top of it if you needed to.

Hi, I got my F 500 in blue/black enamel and there was no burn off smoke at all. WHAT A HEATER!

Jim

Normally discoloration of flat black cast iron is due to fly ash and people doing a poor job of cleaning. A spray can of high temp paint for touch ups is all you need. Enameled finishes are wonderful but don't discount the fact that the natural beauty of cast iron isn't that bad either.

I'm with Jim, natural cast painted black can always be freshened up. Enamel or porcelain chip and when they do, they are chipped; you can't take it back.
But, in the end, personal choice....

I chose flat black matte painted cast iron over the available enamel. I like to weld and work with metal as a hobby and appreciate casting textures on the stove. Plus the stonework was about as much eye candy as I could handle.

If they boogered a coat of enamel on the stove then it would just be smooth and glossy and all the cool grains would be filled. When the black parts of my stove have gotten chalky looking I simply take a tiling sponge with clean water and wipe it down. You've got to be careful to keep your sponge or rag clean or else you just spread the ash around making the whole think chalky> I wonder how many folks have repainted their black stoves thinking that the chalk was actually bad paint when really it was just ash.

Personal taste, some enamels have multiple shades or highlights as applied and offer a pretty cool display. It will never be as industrial looking as flat black though.

I recently bought a Jotul Kennebec in matte black. In my opinion there was too much of a price premium for the blue/black enamel. Plus, I couldn't really tell the difference in color.

I've owned both. The painted black stove is a nice look, I like it. But after a few years the finish starts looking a little shabby. Ash, dust and use tends to dull the finish. So I got into the habit of painting it every couple years. But that got old too.

Since then I've only owned enameled stoves and have never regretted it. They always look great and clean up with just a damp towel. The newer Jotul enameled finishes are very tough. As to the premium price, it comes back when you sell them. An enameled stove that is well cared for will look new even if 5 years old and sells quickly.

BG... SHABBY?

OK.... brass on the handles and even the finials look like they came out of the factory on our 30 year stove. Yes, we clean it and I take the brass to the burnishing wheel in the basement for a yearly shine.

OK... here is one thing I know we will all agree upon, your stove is a piece of furniture, you'll look at it everyday... it has to blend and meld into your decor and if you decide to sell your home it has to be a selling point. Not everyone who would be a potential buyer is willing to heat with wood... they may decide to work harder to pay the oil/gas bill... but that stove is usually going to stay with the sale of the property.

Thanks everyone for your help. The sweep came out today, said both chimneys are in good shape, and do not need anything other than a cap, and to be extended above the roof line. The oil burner tech. is due out in the morning to give me a quote for moving the furnace vent from one chimney to the other. We have purchased the Jotul Oslo in blue black enamel, and have an install date of MLK Day. Starting on the pad Sunday. Now, if I could only get my hands on some wood........

dsil said:
Now, if I could only get my hands on some wood........

Uuuummmm... when you wake up this :roll: morning maybe something might arise!

Jim, sometimes you are a KICK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.