jotul nordic F100 it is.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynch

Dec 13, 2010
northern maine
well, finally bought the stove.
seeing it in person the other day it really is a good looking stove.
now all the work will start. trying to get someone for chimney install and building the hearth. all that good stuff.

really wasnt leaning towards this stove from the start but for the fire viewing it cant be beat.
plus the little woman really liked it too.

so if there are any nordic owners out there if you have any helpful tips i may need them. lol

Congratulations, we've had ours 2 seasons now and love it. It is a smaller stove and will require re-filling every 1-2 hours, but it puts out really nice heat and looks good too. The window is big for that size stove, and you will get a lot of heat from the front. The Nordic fits our bill just fine. If you are buying wood, see if you can get it cut around 14". 16" will fit but you have to put one end in first. My wood guy picked out the smaller splits from his pile and I had very few to cut down to size. I bring wood upstairs in a five gallon bucket. If the wood standing on end sticks out a little over the top, it will just fit in. Anything over that needs a cut down. It has dropped our nat. gas bill down a bit also. Good luck, hopefully you can a few burns in before the winter is over.

yeah i was hoping to get it installed pretty soon and get some burning in.
14" huh I have been trying to cut most all of my wood, but i might buy 1-2 cords.
hopefully i can get them to cut it that small.

how many sq ft to you heat with it.
im hoping mine will heat 670 sq ft.

We are heating around 1,200 sq ft. Our house is 2 stories, so the heat exchange from downstairs to upstairs is great. Boiler goes on when the stove temp goes down sometime after 1 am... This stove can keep our house comfortable through the winter. The short burn time is the only negative I can think of on this stove, but I knew it when I bought it.

It's good to go into a stove knowing it's limitations...

yeah, i think i know
small wood
small stove
lots of tending the fire

But about as sweet burning a little stove as you can find.

Lynch said:
yeah, i think i know
small wood
small stove
lots of tending the fire
Don't let the size fool you. Small stove but big heat. Is this going in a fireplace or stand alone in a room?

stand alone in the living room and kitchen area.
pretty much in the center of the house.

wondering if im going to need to move my thermostat, which is very close to stove location. (within 2 feet of where the stove pipe will be)

Very good, you should really get some heat radiating off that, especially with some exposed pipe. Mine is partway in my fireplace opening, but it still puts out a respectable amount of heat.

T-stat may be any issue. Do you have multiple t-stats or is it one zone?

no its just the one zone.
and there is a light swicth right below the t-stat.

really hate to move them the wall is all tongue and groove knotty pine.
could just put some blank plates but would like alittle funny

It will depend if you have rooms far from the stove that may not get enough heat. As long as the stove is running the t-stat will most likely be satisfied and the furnace or boiler will not heat. If you have forced hot air heating, the fan can be put on to move warm air around the house to even it out some. It does have mixed results though.

yeah ill see what the chimney guys think about it.
and go from there i guess.

Lynch said:
wondering if im going to need to move my thermostat, which is very close to stove location. (within 2 feet of where the stove pipe will be)

I would leave it as is for now, just turn it up a bit, then when the stove goes out, the cooler air from the rest of the room will let thermostat come on.

You can always move the t-stat later if this isn't satisfactory.

yeah good idea.

anyone else with this stove.
maybe some one with a pic too ( of the nordic)

Here is a shot of our little Nordic in our tiny cabin

Attachments

• IMG_0001_1.jpg
    IMG_0001_1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 655
looks good man.

what kind of surface temps are you guys seeing, i know that it maybe hard to get a good number on top b/c of the pleets.
i have read the side might be the best place for getting temps.
what do you guys do?

oh yeah,
chimney guy is coming thrusday to take a look and give me a price!
ill have to get going on the hearth!

Mine runs about 500-600 without a problem. I rear-vent so my thermometer sits on the cover plate for top vent.

ahh.
so im going to be top vent so where would be the best place for my thermometer

Hmm, I could not find it in the manual. It recommends that you have one, yet does not show placement. I would say on the waffle top center just in front of the flue collar exit.

Love the Cash avatar.

fishingpol said:
Hmm, I could not find it in the manual. It recommends that you have one, yet does not show placement. I would say on the waffle top center just in front of the flue collar exit.

Love the Cash avatar.
A little off topic, but have you seen this video? 15 year old kid singing "Ring of Fire". Turn your volume up and get ready to smile. :)

http://www.katu.com/home/video/11944831.html?video=pop&t=a

Ed

yeah i have! he is frigging good!

yeah i finally got around to doing the avatar and my sig.

I'll check that out. I listen to "Hurt" a lot on youtube, what a haunting song by Johnny. My first acoustic guitar song I learned was "Long black veil" originally by Lefty Frizell.

Status
Not open for further replies.