Jotul Oslo ash 'nuisance' solution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nelraq

Nov 11, 2009
Coldstream, British Columbia
Oslo owners will certainly be aware of the nuisance I'm referring to! It's the 'poor' design of the front door. The ash gathers in the groove between the door and the stove. When you open the door (I only do this to clean the glass) lots of ash falls on your ashlip and your hearth.

It's a pain in the neck to clean up - plus the nice black cast iron turns a ugly grey colour!

The solution: Lay a piece of rope gasket in the groove - I'm using 5/8 inch rope. Don't force it in - just lay it into the groove. When you want to clean the glass, brush away the ash from the rope and pull it out!

Open the door, and voila -next to no ash to clean up. It's simple and it works - just the way I like it!

Nice simple fix, I like it. Good to hear that you're back in the 'groove'.

Thanks for the tip, i'll be giving it a try.

That is a neat idea, I find it easy to carry my ash lip to the ash bucket, dump it and re-install, by not brooming it, the ash doesn't really turn it grey.

Neat idea . . . I may have to try this!

I'll try that on my Castine! oh....wait a second.......

nelraq said:
It's a pain in the neck to clean up - plus the nice black cast iron turns a ugly grey colour!

I agree about the ash on the door issue but I love the side loading and like you I never open the front door 'cept to clean the glass and ash.

Now about that discoloration, what the heck is up with that, I have given it a couple of shots of paint...
but it always comes back :mad: :mad: :mad: .
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to keep this from happening? this is my only beef with this stove, I wish I would have gotten the enameled version instead.

Thanks for the tip about the front door, will have to try that out.

Deep Fryer said:
nelraq said:

I agree about the ash on the door issue but I love the side loading and like you I never open the front door 'cept to clean the glass and ash.

Now about that discoloration, what the heck is up with that, I have given it a couple of shots of paint...
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to keep this from happening? this is my only beef with this stove, I wish I would have gotten the enameled version instead.

when the stove is still warm, wet a paper towel and clean....no need for paint.

Wow, thats it!? I'm going to have to give that a try, Thank you Mike. Would I do that in its current condition (w/heavy discoloration present) or should I give it another shot of paint and stay on top of it with the wet paper towel technique?

Deep Fryer said:
nelraq said:

I have the blue/black, is yours flat black?

Mine is the flat black. Your enamel must clean up pretty easily.
Like MikePinto65 (above) I clean the 'gray' off with a wet paper towel. Not a big deal!

Deep Fryer said:
Wow, thats it!? I'm going to have to give that a try, Thank you Mike. Would I do that in its current condition (w/heavy discoloration present) or should I give it another shot of paint and stay on top of it with the wet paper towel technique?

I'd try it how it is. I'd save the paint for when paint becomes rubbed off. Stove polish helps restore the deep black, but I wouldnt consider using it during the burning season myself.

Mine is matte black as well in case you were wondering.

webby3650 said:
I have the blue/black, is yours flat black?

Hi Webby, yes mine is flat black, but all these suggestions are giving me hope :cheese:

Mike, Thanks again, I'll keep that in mind, including the polish ;-)

Just checking . . . 5/8, not 3/8? I took a look at the 5/8 gasket and it seemed pretty thick . . . I figured I had read this right, but thought I would doublecheck before spending the money . . . since I really liked this idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.