Jotul Oslo Bottom Heat Shield?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avc8130

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
God's Gift to Gassification
I am unpacking and assembling my Jotul Oslo, and I found this interesting piece of sheet metal in the box. I think I have determined that it is a bottom heat shield. According to the manual it is necessary in alcove installs. My install is NOT an alcove...do I HAVE to use this thing? It seems cheap and lame.
ac

What is your stove going to sit on ????

shawneyboy said:
What is your stove going to sit on ????

Tile with concrete backerboard under it.

I dug through the whole manual and all I could find is that "ember" protection was necessary under the stove. I don't see anything that mentions a specific required insulation value.
ac

I looked at the owners manual and it does say that with an alcove application it is required. Which I don't quite understand since it is a bottom heat shield, not the side or rear. I would think that the ash pan would give you some good bottom heat protection, but you may want to err on the side of caution. I do not see anywhere other than the alcove instalation where it is "required".

Interesting.....

I don't own this stove, but I am sure you will get some thoughts from some of the members who do own it.

Ember Protection is for the size of the hearth/ floor protection in the front and the side door.

It looks like floor protection must be min of R .893 unless in alcove. then they bump it up to 1.6 and the heatshield. (I found these specifications in the example in Appendix A. There it uses and example of a proposed alternate and lists the required r of .893. Now is this what is required ? I don't know? )

Cheap looking but it works. Put it on just for the hell of it. You don't even notice it on the stove.
The rear heat shield is almost the same. I was thinking what good is this. Works like a charm. Barely gets warm. It was a bit expensive though.

I put mine on - no alcove. But you don't really notice it, so why not...

Mine has it on there. The dealer must have installed it before the stove was delivered. I just noticed the other day for the first time while cleaning under the stove.

had one installed without & was suprised at how hot the floor got underneath, put it on and was amazed at the difference. Would recommend using it.

Mad Tom said:
Cheap looking but it works. Put it on just for the hell of it. You don't even notice it on the stove.
The rear heat shield is almost the same. I was thinking what good is this. Works like a charm. Barely gets warm. It was a bit expensive though.

Agreed . . . stick it on . . . you'll never notice it and you get the benefit of the shield . . . in fact I had to think for a bit before posting since I couldn't remember if I had the shield on or not . . . it really isn't noticeable once installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.