Jotul Oslo - Broken Baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmichaud

While moving some wood around in my Jotul Oslo during reload somehow I managed to put the poker through the back baffle material. It's only a small area in the corner however I am not sure how concerned I should be. I am not sure what the material is. It's not metal. The stove seems to operate fine. Any thoughts? I have attached a couple of photos. photo 1.JPG photo 1.JPG

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 227
I can't really see where the hole is . . . the baffle is important, but if it's small and in a corner you might be OK . . . you might also be able to repair it with some refactory cement or similar product, perhaps?

If it's in the back corner it may let flue gases go directly up the chimney. Hard to say though as the insulation blanket may be helping to block the hole from the top. One option is to pull the stove lid and fill the hole from the top with furnace cement.

I did the exact same thing last season, but on the other side. I ended up replacing it this summer, but continued to run the stove as it was throughout the last month or so of winter. If it's not affecting your secondary burn, I wouldn't worry about it.

The hole is in the upper left corner. Maybe 2-21/2 inches. it doesn't seem to effect the burn. I was more concerned about safety.

The baffle simply forces the smoke to go towards the front of the stove under the burn tubes. You could essentially run the stove without a baffle at all, but the reburn technology wouldn't be very effective. You're fine.

I have a very small hole in mine in the same spot. The dealer looked at it last year and this year said its ok don't worry about it. Has not affected burning at all just something to keep track of.

It's no problem, all quality stoves are built so pokers can pierce metal. Reminds me of that Saturday Night Live skit "Really".

Status
Not open for further replies.