Jotul Oslo burn tube.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DTrain

Feeling the Heat
Nov 7, 2012
Stow, MA
Hey. Running a small break in fire tonight on my new liner.

So far so good. A little smell but is gone already. Is that normal? Ok? Doesn't seem to be producing secondaries. The back one is but its not glowing.

Noticed my middle tube cherry red. Seems I haven't seen it like that before. Only the center one and its glowing.
629be70e5e22a2a5d7869a9aed055203.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I need a hot fire , then lower down the primary air. Different size fires produce more or less secondary brining.Yours look fine to me.

I honestly can't remember my tube ever glowing like that. My memory is crap these days though.

I honestly can't remember my tube ever glowing like that. My memory is crap these days though.

I think your correct, my Oslo dosen't glow the tubes. but I have seen a lot of pictures of other stoves here with red tubes. Why I don't know.

Yeah, it seemed odd. Although I found that my baffle had shifted forward on the stove. Likely from it being moved for liner install. So there was a large gap at the rear of the fire box. Ive read that this can cause over firing. Now my stove top thermometer never got over 450. But now that I put it back we'll see if that made a difference.

Yeah, it seemed odd. Although I found that my baffle had shifted forward on the stove. Likely from it being moved for liner install. So there was a large gap at the rear of the fire box. Ive read that this can cause over firing. Now my stove top thermometer never got over 450. But now that I put it back we'll see if that made a difference.

Oh, the burn plate was moved forward.. That will open a slot for the exhaust to go directly out to the chimney. Instead of washing the glass and over top the burn plate. Yea your not going to heat the top of the stove. I have the cast iron plates. There have been reports of them warping, which could cause openings. Mine are fine, as I I don't over fire, and maintain the insulation blanket.

That should make a nice difference. Flames licking up behind the baffle can cause warping and other problems. Good that you caught that.

Umm.... Nope not full. Maybe looks like that's up against the glass or something. Five small splits. I think it was. That stuff was 18-20% oak.

That should make a nice difference. Flames licking up behind the baffle can cause warping and other problems. Good that you caught that.
Yeah I was too!

Status
Not open for further replies.