Jotul Oslo Chimney Connector Connection?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avc8130

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
God's Gift to Gassification
Should the area where the chimeny connector goes into the stove be sealed with gasket cement? Currently the 6" single wall is just jammed in with the 2 pinch bolts touching it. Am I losing draft here? The install manual was not very clear about this.
ac

Yes, try to pack any gaps with some stove cement and let it cure.

That brings up another question. I never considered the Jotul collar holes for pinch bolts. Instead I drilled aligning pilot holes in the inserted pipe end and then secured the pipe with short #10 or #12 sheet metal screws. Anyone else do this?

They do need to be drilled BeGreen you are correct!

The holes are to be drilled and they now come with self-threading bolts! I have never seen any need for cement although I thought it was mentioned in the manual. We only use Elmers pipe when installing single wall, the pipe is 22ga and is factory crimped, it fits very well and leaves no room for cement

Jotul really should go through their manual, or have a place for suggestions.

What is the pilot hole size I need to drill for these screws?

The reason I asked about cement is because the pipe just kinda pushed into the stove. The stove piece is cast, so it certainly isn't a perfect fit like 2 connector pieces.

Thanks,
ac

avc8130 said:

The reason I asked about cement is because the pipe just kinda pushed into the stove. The stove piece is cast, so it certainly isn't a perfect fit like 2 connector pieces.

Thanks,
ac

According to the Oslo manual. Section 3.5. Mark where the screws hit the flue pipe when it is at the very bottom of the flue outlet and drill a 5.5 mm hole for the screw in the flue pipe.

This may come from the European manual. I have 2 with my Oslo. It is Cat.no 222150. Label found on back of manual.

Mad Tom said:
avc8130 said:

Thanks,
ac

According to the Oslo manual. Section 3.5. Mark where the screws hit the flue pipe when it is at the very bottom of the flue outlet and drill a 5.5 mm hole for the screw in the flue pipe.

This may come from the European manual. I have 2 with my Oslo. It is Cat.no 222150. Label found on back of manual.

Looks like I have a task for tomorrow!
ac

We screwed in my father in laws Oslo. I dont think we even consulted the manual.

Went to drill and screw the connection tonight. I pulled the chimney connector and found chips of creosote in the stove top. I pulled them out and cleaned up the connector. I marked and drilled the connector for the screws (used 7/32 drill since, realistically, who has metric?). I then took the opportunity to use a tube of chimney cement to seal up the joint to the stove. My question is how this cement will behave when I clean the chimney connector the next time.

Will I need to redo the chimney cement each time I clean the connector? Not that big of a deal financially since the whole tube was $7 and I only used 1/8 of it or so, just one more task to add.

ac

Status
Not open for further replies.