Jotul Oslo - Do I need to worry about this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elle

Burning Hunk
Apr 20, 2012
North East Pennsylvania
Hi, 2 questions if you don't mind...

1.Jotul Oslo, this will be my third season burning. I have posted some pics. As I was cleaning it out it seemed like this "silicone" on the right side (facing the stove, not the door) is coming off. Is that something I need to get fixed before burning season?

2. The stove pipe-I just decided to clean the chimney today and took off the stove pipe to clean it out as well. Well...I had a groan of a time getting it back on (I took it off last year and didn't have much issue) and it's on this time, but not pretty. Where the stove pipe connects to the stove, right above the damper, on one side there is about a 1/4 inch gap where the stove pipe just won't fit snug against the part of the pipe with the damper in.

Sorry, I guess I should know some more terms by now :-/

Attachments

• stove 2.JPG
    stove 2.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 261
  • stove 3.JPG
    stove 3.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 274
  • stove.JPG
    stove.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 265
What I am seeing is just slag cement from assembly. It's normal for chunks of excess to fall out over time. Not sure what you are saying about your stove pipe though, can you post a pic of that?

Reactions: Elle
I found a pic of a stove so you can see what I am talking about. Where the red arrow is. At that connection....it just doesn't seem like a good connection. Like the pipe is out of round (though I'm sure it isn't). On the back side there is about a 1/4 inch gap as the pipe seems a little off-center or something. I will get a pic tomorrow. I am just wondering if I need to worry about CO leaking from this-though I guess the stove pipe connections aren't air tight anyway, lol.

Attachments

• dspdiagram arrow.JPG
    dspdiagram arrow.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 214
BTW thanks for the other answer :)

Do you have double wall pipe?
It's "normal" to have a flat spot on the seam if you are using single wall snap lock pipe. If that's the case, I would replace it with quality pipe before winter and get rid of the damper at the same time. Unless your chimney is in excess of 20'.

Do you have double wall pipe?
It's "normal" to have a flat spot on the seam if you are using single wall snap lock pipe. If that's the case, I would replace it with quality pipe before winter and get rid of the damper at the same time. Unless your chimney is in excess of 20'.

yes I do have a double wall pipe. My chimney is about 30 feet.

Ok...trying to show you what is going on. Sorry the one pic is blurry... also I notice another "bubble" where the elbow connects to the wall. If this is an issue can I just caulk it with the high heat caulk? Thanks for the help.

Sorry I uploaded 2 of picture #1

Attachments

• stove pipe.JPG
    stove pipe.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 186
  • stove pipe 2.JPG
    stove pipe 2.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 208
  • stove pipe 2.JPG
    stove pipe 2.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 200
  • pic 2 diagram.JPG
    pic 2 diagram.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 191
Is the vertical pipe plumb? If not there will be a gap at one edge in the lower joint.

Also, is this connector venting into a masonry chimney with a liner or into a metal exterior chimney?

Is the vertical pipe plumb? If not there will be a gap at one edge in the lower joint.

Also, is this connector venting into a masonry chimney with a liner or into a metal exterior chimney?

no it is a stainless chimney all the way up. Just looked at it. No it isn't, looks like it is about 3/8 off. it is in closer at the bottom...so the bottom of the pipe is going towards the wall. I have the elbow on as tight as I can get it on. The screw holes line up so I'm guessing that is about as far as it is supposed to go.

Maybe the stove have moved a little? I would move it to get the pipe plumb again.

Maybe the stove have moved a little? I would move it to get the pipe plumb again.

move it? you make it sound so easy ;-) I've read about "stove creep" and I do have a hardwood floor that might have something to do with it-from what I've read. Hmm... I will see what I can do. If I can't.....will this be a problem?

Give it a try. I have a 600# stove and I can nudge it on the hearth pad.

well that was easier than I thought, lol. The pipe is plumb now and most of that gap is gone. There is still a little one at the seam of the stove pipe in the back. Do I have to worry about that and the other little gap relative to CO in the house? or should I get some high heat caulk and seal it just in case. I"m not sure I'm taking the stove pipe off next year. Might have the guys come up and do it. I did get a ton of ashed out of the back of the stove that I didn't get last year so maybe that will help my burning.

Thanks for the help. I"m glad I got this stove....it sure is fun!

This is double-wall connector pipe, correct? If so I wouldn't worry about it. It's the inner pipe seal that is important.

This is double-wall connector pipe, correct? If so I wouldn't worry about it. It's the inner pipe seal that is important.

yes it is double wall. Thanks so much for all your help! I didn't think about it being a double wall and the inside seal at all... in another ten years I might have this down!

Status
Not open for further replies.