Jotul oslo firebox size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Hearth Supporter
Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
does anyone have an estimate of how many cubic feet it is? For some reason they don't advertise that. A search didn't come up with anything either.
Thanks
Rob

~2 cu ft.

Don't know about the 500, but the Big 6 is 2.9 cu ft.

ansehnlich1 said:
I think I measured closer to 2.5 cu. ft.

That's why is put it at approximate. Is that the usable space or all the way to the secondary manifold and up to the glass?

Firebox size is 13"D X 23"W X 12"H.

Basically 2 cubic feet as stated previously.

This measurement is the actual space that wood will fit in the stove, not touching the glass or wedged in between the burn tubes on top.

I did not count the space between the primary inlet at the front of the stove and the glass. It is about 1/4 of a cubic foot.

J.P.

For a real comparison, we'd have to measure other stoves against their manufacturers claims and see if they measure up!

I remember it being about the 2.2 cf number, but all of these numbers mean little compared to the actual wood length, type and shape you put in. When I did the burn time calculator, I had to take all the airspaces, etc. into account. When you consider that the weight of a cubic foot of wood can be 50 lbs or more, the folly becomes apparent. No way you can put 100 lbs of wood in most stoves!

Yeah, It's been a while since I measured the thing, I think it was closer to that 2.2 number mentioned above, sorry.

For rough figures I think of the Jotul line this way:

F3CB - ~ 1cu ft
F400 - ~ 1.5 cu ft
F500 - ~ 2 cu ft
F600 - ~ 3 cu ft

Mileage may vary depending on how tightly one likes to pack the box.

Hi, The way I measure my firbox is two six inch splits on the bottom, two four inch splits on top and whatever I can fill in between. This amount of wood lasts me 8 -9 hours. Hope this helps.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.