Jotul Oslo has a crack inside. Should I be worried ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acesneights1

Oct 18, 2008
North East CT
DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0002.JPG It looks like some sort of inner heat shield. Possible a consumable/replaceable item but any issue with continuing to burn it until I can get a new one ? Noticed it while cleaning the liner/stove today. It is on the inside/right side facing.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a side burn plate. It is designed as a wear item and is there to protect the outer cast. Most dealers can order that part for you and it is an easy swap out once you have the new one.

Reactions: PapaDave
Looks to be a key hole slot. You just slide it up and out .A piece of boiler plate steel cut to that size is a cheap fix . But I fabricate parts like that . Just my 2 cents........

Yup, side burn plate. It's sacrificial. They are sold in pairs for about $135. You may be able to extend the life of the one that is in there by drilling a small 3/32" hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading.

Reactions: PapaDave
Yup, side burn plate. It's sacrificial. They are sold in pairs for about $135. You may be able to extend the life of the one that is in there by drilling a small 3/32" hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading.
Any harm if I just weld the crack up ? . I could run a few passes on it.

If you are proficient at welding and understand heat stresses, I would bet you can. If you just try to run a bead on that without preheating the surrounding area, you will probably end up with cracks at the edge of your weld.
What the heck, it wouldn't hurt to try. Worst case is that you would trade one crack for the other.

It looks like some sort of inner heat shield. Possible a consumable/replaceable item but any issue with continuing to burn it until I can get a new one ? Noticed it while cleaning the liner/stove today. It is on the inside/right side facing.
i have a cracked burnplate side/door (part number 26) just like you. looks like same place and same length. jotul told my dealer this is not common. very strange how ours cracked in same place and looks identical.

DSC03514.JPG DSC03517.JPG DSC03518.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the ash pan door by any chance being used to help the stove get burning hot?

Is the ash pan door by any chance being used to help the stove get burning hot?
ash pan door is not used to get fire going. sometimes i will leave the front door open to help get fire going. my dealer communicated with jotul and they said i was not doing anything wrong and that this part can fail under normal use.

Good deal. The burn plates are sacrificial and will go after several years of hard use.

Status
Not open for further replies.