Jotul Oslo hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planing on cutting my floor tomorrow. I'm excited and a little nervous. Once I make that first cut it's no turning back. Pics to follow.

Good luck JeepNerd.

Looking good. Seeing the pics is immensely helpful. Did you cut the floor just with your circular saw? Why did you end up stopping short of the blue tape? Looks like there's 2 courses of brick under the existing hearth?

Yes, I used a circular saw. I have one more pass to make with the saw. I'm going to the stove shop to make one more measurement to make sure I have my 18". The last cut is going to be on the other side of the next joist, I'll just be adding a nailer onto the other side to support the flooring. When I make my final cut I'll score the floor with a utility knife. There's actually 3 courses of bricks that I layer, as you can see I still have a little brick work to do.

Watch out... your old house may reject those sheet metal joist hangers like a bad organ transplant. ;)

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
I still have some work to do, but I made an appointment with the installer for the first Monday in November. I think that'll be enough time to wrap this up.

I made an appointment with the installer for the first Monday in November.
Nothing like a hard deadline to motivate you. Plus you can look forward to digesting your Turkey Day dinner with your feet up by a nice warm stove.

I made the final pass with the saw today. I used the factory edge on the scrap plywood as a straight edge, screwed it down to hold it while I made the cut.

Reactions: Ashful
Lookin' good! Gutsy... putting the straight edge on the scrap side. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, but I'm sure you were puckering all the way thru the cut. ;lol

Whew, that is gutsy! I guess screwing the straight-edge to the waste side makes sense though, though I don't think I'd risk the scuffs to my oak floors...probably at least mask it by taping down some rosin-paper. You sure are right about "no turning back" - can't wait to see it all coming together.

I screwed the plywood to the framing that I already exposed, using the factory edge to gide my saw for a straight line. I have some fine tuning to do to the framing this weekend then hopefully installing the Hardy Backer during the week. With a little luck I'll be setting tile next weekend. It was a little nerve wreaking utill I made the first cut, then all the anxieties vanished, like ripping off a band aid. Sometimes you just got to say #%@* it.

Last edited:
I've been busy. od%20stove/IMG_20141007_171139_841.jpg[/IMG][/URL] All I have left to do is fill the space between the wall and the fireplace surround with metal and I'm ready for the installer! I'm scheduled for November 3rd.

Looks great! The tile's nice & flush with the wood too. Glad to see it all coming together. Looking forward to the finishing touch.

Thanks. I think everyone in this house is ready for this project to be done. I can't wait for the first fire, it'll be ready just in time for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.