Jotul Oslo HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJO21

Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
Missouri
I have had this stove for 8years and have been pretty pleased with it. I have noticed that in the last two weeks I am going through wood...fast! reload in about an hour with the dampener all the was to the left. I start looking for problems and here are some that I have found:

1. Both the ash door and the glass door are hanging low on the latch side.
The glass front door is about a quarter inch low?
Do the pins and or spacers wear out? What else can I do to get things lined back up?

2. I am getting almost no seal on the ash door.
Are gasket replacement sets easy to install?

Anything else I should look for?

I need advise. I am about 2 hours from the dealer and need information before I drive up there.

Please help,
thank you,
Mike

It does sound like the gaskets for all doors are due for replacement. Hinge pins can wear and should probably be replaced. But first check and be sure the washer is not worn out or missing on the lower hinge bracket for the sagging door. Bring the washer into a local hardware store and get a few of them in varying thicknesses if possible. Try using them on the bottom hinge pin. That may straighten out the door.

Have you called the dealer to find out the dimensions of the different gaskets to see if they can be picked up locally? Or have them mail you the gaskets + a little extra. That'll save a 4hr round trip.

Check the hinge pins to make sure they are fully inserted. Seems like a lot of wear to me.

Watch out that you don't over fire the stove in the mean time. I have heard about damage occurring when the ash door is allowed to provide air.

Thank you everyone. I went to a dealer today and they wrote down what I needed. I was told that it would be Monday til they could check on availability and pricing? they also mentioned that all parts must be ordered and price checked overseas? Kind of strange to me that there is not even a price book for each part?

Anyway, I got home and did some checking and small troubleshooting. Tried different washers of the front door it is a little better. went to work on the ash door and solved it for at least the mean time. On my ash door to latch it shut there was a quarter of a turn to latch the door. After messing with it today I realized that there was another quarter turn that would seal the door much better. It took some muscle but I did get a whole half tur n, now it turns pretty easily, Hope this helps something.

I have never been extremely happy with my heat output, burn time, and the stoves ability to heat the whole house. I wanted to by the next size up but the salesman did everything he could to discourage me from buying the larger model??? Hopefully all this will help .

Thank you,
Mike

If you have the ash door sealed and you want to continue to use the stove while you wait for the parts and the permanent fix, you may want to ignore the ash tray and just empty your ashes by stovel through the side door if you can let your stove cool down one day a week.

I don't have any complaints about the heat output of my Oslo. I'm not expecting to be about to have my sole heat from the stove, epecially when it is in the teens. I have a 2000 SF house, fairly well insultated. So I expecting that I'm getting most of my heat from the Olso when temps are in the 20s or above. In the teens, I am still getting a good percentage if I keep feeding it so that its running 550 to 600 F. It is the significant drop in heat output after 4-6 hours that is a bit of a dissappointment. But I used to have a 3+ CF firebox with a cat that is my comparison. So it is a bit apples to oranges. I am happy that I have coals after 8 hours so that I don't have to do a cold start. I even had a very few coals, buried in the ashes, after 16 -18 hours when I was expecting a cold stove. No heat output, but I did not have to make sure I had a draft either. I am very impressed by the looks and the light shows of the Oslo.

I would like to have a bigger fire box, but the F600 had too high of a rear discharge for me to use on my hearth install and get it under my 27" lintel of the entrance to my fireplace. The one thing I am learning is that very dry wood is the key to getting the most out of the Oslo,

Hope you get yours permanently fixed and you get more years out of it if you want to keep on using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.