Jotul Oslo is finally in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you post a picture? I don't think it will matter as long as you have double wall anywhere you need it. Although I'm not totally sure I understand what you mean by "airspace holes" I think you are talking about the area between the single and double wall.

Exactly toploader, it's the space between the two, but now that heated air will be exiting the pipe rather than traveling through it. You can see in the pic the single wall piece is attached to the thimble.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 157
Well I don't think that's a problem but I wonder if you need that elbow[close to the wall] to be double wall?

Had the same observation. Normally one does not mix single and double wall in a connector run. The single wall elbow looks closer than 18" to the wall. Not sure about the combustible hanging on the wall adjacent to the elbow. If so this must be changed to a double wall elbow.

I was thinking the same thing so I called and left a message with PF to order an adjustable double wall. Ill confirm with them in the morning. I don't mind doing the break ins with it like that, but I don't really want want to run 24/7.

Or maybe go with the double wall horizontal run out from the wall you had before and then the elbow if that will get the 18" Begreen mentions.

Or maybe go with the double wall horizontal run out from the wall you had before and then the elbow if that will get the 18" Begreen mentions.
That's a good idea, ill probably do that if I can't get a double wall one. I'd like to limit the horizontal if I can, to keep the good draft it has.

Begreen, I agree. I'd rather not use the single wall at all. Oh, the thing on the wall is good, high ignition temp.

Break-in fire two done. Way more off gassing at 300. All the pipe seems to be fine, no smoke leaking and wall is cool to the touch. One more break-in and hopefully the new DW 90 will be in tues or wed.

One difference I've seen between the Oslo and Encore is getting to temp. Took a little more than I thought it would've to get to 300. Could be because I am using the splitter trash, no real splits. But, it does hold the temp really well, and is super controllable. Me likey

It's true that the Oslo takes a bit longer to get up to temp but it's a bit deceptive because VC asks you to measure temperatures on the griddle which rises faster than the corner of the top where you're supposed to measure the Oslo's temperature. It really is a simple and smart design, very controllable and low maintenance especially when compared to downdraft designs.

Burning the last break-in now. Kids with mom over the in-laws, football on and a nice glass of 12 year single malt, very nice!

Still taking more than expected to get to temp though. Checked the splits I put in and the highest MC in any given piece was 19. It's common to have widely fluctuating MC in one piece of wood right?

Status
Not open for further replies.