Jotul Oslo or Hearthstone Phoenix??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eightpilot

Jul 2, 2008
Northern WI
Cast iron or Soapstone... Which one is more of a powerhouse for heat? Any pro's or con's to soapstone? Thanks. 8

The power comes from the firebox size and efficiency of the stove. Both work great.

Is soapstone on average more expensive then cast iron? Really like the looks of the HearthStone. 8

Soapstone is usually a little more money, but the advantage of a more even gentler heat is a plus in my opinion. Put the same poundage of firewood in each stove and they will both give you about the same BTU output, but the cast stove will put it out more heat quicker and also cool off faster, the soapstone will distribute the heat in a more even longer output. Disadvantage of soapstone is it takes about 1 hr to get good heat out of a cold stove. Steel and cast are better for those quick take the chill off days, but if you use your soapstone for primary heat like me then it stays hot all the time and works great for the 24/7 burner.

I agree with Todd. Soapstone vs steel vs iron comes up here a lot. Do a search on this site and you'll see.

Many people that have used both iron and soapstone will say that stone heats very differently.

I went with soapstone because I heat 24/7 and liked the idea of a more even, gentle heat. Stove remains hot enough after an overnight burn to allow the addition of wood in the morning to combust quickly. The stone looks sharp as well.

If you are choosing your first stove, be a bit weary of how big an area the stove will heat and how long a burn you'll get. Those brochure numbers seem to be maximums if you have the most well insulated house and the driest wood. That said they are all relative. I use a Hearthstone Homestead. I am very happy with it, but had hoped to get an 8 hour burn over night. I tend to get a 6-7 hour burn, but because soapstone holds heat well, I still do alright. Best burn I got was 7.5 hours off of hickory.

Side note: I just returned from Belgium (hence the early morning post post since they are 6 hours ahead there and I haven't adjusted) . . . . honestly, they have so much soapstone there, they line the streets and building with it, EVERYWHERE. Pretty cool to see. My wife rolled here eyes every time I pointed it out. My favorite was the foundation of a thai place that had 2 foot long koi fish carved into the foundation.

Both heat. Whichever you prefer. I had a soapstone in our basement and didn't like it. Sold it for $400.00 to a lucky person.

It had a coil for heat output and I never trusted it. Thought it burned way too hot but may have just been me. I prefer cast iron enamal with a steel firebox. Quadrafire is my preference. :)

Since you are asking about price and wanting a "powerhouse" I think that the iron stoves will serve you better. The soap is slow to heat and cool, so you don't get that instant gratification. More expensive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.