Jotul Oslo pre-first-burn question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOslo

Aug 26, 2006
Hi,
I am getting ready to light the first break-in fire in my newly installed Jotul Oslo tomorrow. While re-reading the installation instructions I noted that they suggest removing the screws from the oval top plate and leaving it unattached as it makes the chimney sweeps job easier. I am going to do it, but does anyone have any thoughts/insight on this?

Best regards,

JotulOslo

I keep mine on , although just "thumb" tight for ease of removal.

install double wall interior pipe, with the telescope at the stove, simply slip up the pipe and tape a trash bag, then sweep it. With that method you dont have to worry about shop vac dust flying everywhere. Otherwise, it doenst hurt leaving the top plate loose.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll leave them 'thumb' tight and then fire up the stove.

Again, many thanks.

JotulOslo

Can you let me know how the Oslo works for you. Mine is being installed in a few weeks and I'd like to get some feedback. Especially re how big your house is and how well it heats it. Location, insulation, etc.

Thanks and I hope it works well for you.

senorFrog said:
Can you let me know how the Oslo works for you. Mine is being installed in a few weeks and I'd like to get some feedback. Especially re how big your house is and how well it heats it. Location, insulation, etc.

Thanks and I hope it works well for you.

I have just completed the third break-in burn of the Jotul Oslo, so I can't really give you any valid information about the stove yet. I will say that I have a 38 X 24 foot cape with a second floor that has two rooms measuring a total of 12 X 24, which gives roughly 1200 SF. It was built in 1988, has 2 X 4 walls, is pretty well sheltered from wind by trees, and is located in seacoast NH. I'm looking forward to burning it this winter, as it replaces the typical poorly-built, end wall brick fireplace that I only used once or twice a year. I did the install myself, from the lining of the chimney with a 6" SS liner, building a two-piece block off plate (I drilled and tapped some holes that I then installed SS machine screws into that are used, along with some 3/8" emt conduit clamps, to secure the plates to the damper frame) to replace the damper, and installing durock and granite for the heart extension.

I'm jonesing to get the next fire going and start enjoying this baby on the cold nights that will inevitably come. I will update more as time progresses.

JotulOslo

Status
Not open for further replies.