Jotul Oslo - Side door will not open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmichaud

I have had my Jotul Oslo for about 4 year and have had no problems. With in the last couple of days I cannot get the side door to open up. The door handle latch will not budge. It doesn't matter if the stove is hot or cold. Anyone experience this problem?

Nope.

OK, I was being a bit funny with that last response. Now here's perhaps a more helpful post . . . when the stove is cool . . . make that cold . . . can you check out the latching mechanism from the inside . . . perhaps hit the latch and handle inside and out with some sort of lubricant such as spray graphite and see if that might free things up . . . unless the latch is not moving at all . . .in which case it may be broken internally. Not sure if that's much help . . . but better than my other aforementioned post, right? ;)

Reactions: Dakotas Dad
Years ago I had this happen on my front door because I didn't use it and in the summer things at my old house were damp so the mechanism rusted solid. I eventually tried a little too hard and broke the handle which then had to be drilled out and replaced. Have you been using your side door?, if so it probably isn't rust but then it's a mystery to me how it could happen.

The latch and handle does not want to move. It seems to be such a simple mechanism what could possibly go wrong? I have to tap it with a dead blow hammer to get it to move. Having said that I am trying to be careful so I do not break it. I need the heat right now... The front door still works fine.

I don't use the side door too often however it is nice to have that option. I will give the graphite spray a try. Thanks.

Can you get a pair of pliers on the latch from the inside and maybe try to push the door open?

Last edited by a moderator:
My front door did that. From no use. The shaft was very frozen. I squirted it with all the penetrating oils I had. Got a little movement, wiggled until I got it open then lubed the shaft from the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.