Jotul Oslo vs. Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Britales

Nov 14, 2007
Eastern Shore, VA.
Newbie here so please be patient! We are looking at Jotul stoves after quite a bit of research, much of it on this very helpful website! 2200' house, 2 floors, 1909 construction, reinsulated to a fair extent, oil heat, new Pella windows double pane. We want to use the stove as a primary heat source,we do not need upstairs bedrooms to be toasty at night! We will be locating the stove in our Dining room hooked into an existing flue which we are having relined by our chimney man! Dining room is in center of downstairs area! OK I think I've got most of the info out there! Here's the dilemma!!
I like the Oslo - longer burn time, front and side load, little bigger( don't have to crank it as much)!
My lovely wife - is put off by the footprint of the hearthboard -(54x50 OSLO) as opposed to the 44x40 of the Castine which she has now championed! I think she would deal with the larger area hearth but I'm not sure I want to see that look on her face after it is installed! Oh, just spoke with another dealer and he has a Hearthstone Homestead that was just returned by a woman who did not like the "aesthetics"( he's calling me back with a "nice price") I'm sure you folks have some helpful advice! PLEASE!! Also top loaders - much more convienient than front or side models- just wondering?
thanks in advance,
Gene

I went through this with my wife as well. She won, for now, but if I did it again there would be no question, I'd go for the next size up stove. Look hard again at the Oslo. Longer burn times and side loading are nice benefits. For us it wouldn't work because of the side-door, corner installation restrictions. If you want a smaller footprint for the hearth with a big firebox, consider the Quadrafire Isle Royale (top-loader), Morso 3610 (side) or a Pacific Energy Alderlea T6 (front).

If you want to heat 2200sq.ft. of an old home with wood,you should perhaps look at a larger stove than the Oslo.Very few people complain that their stove is oversized, and on those"design" days,you'll appreciate it all the more.My $0.02.

We are now quite interested in the Lopi Leyden! Footprint is smaller and has a large firebox as well as being a top loader! Anyone have any thoughts on this one? From what I have read Lopi is a solid choice!
Gene

Britales said:
We are now quite interested in the Lopi Leyden! Footprint is smaller and has a large firebox as well as being a top loader! Anyone have any thoughts on this one? From what I have read Lopi is a solid choice!
Gene
Sounds like a good choice, I agree with Titan, don't go to small, make sure it can actually heat your home. Size ratings manufacturers give you are often a wee bit optimistic.

My Oslo heats my 2400 sq ft house fine down to about 20-25 F. Below those temps the oil heat comes on. I have decent insulation and double pane Andsersens. I would not want to go smaller and probably should have gone to the 600!

The side loading is key in my house and really helps keep things clean and safe.

Jeff in PA

Britales said:

Note the clearances required for the Leyden. The stoves I recommended earlier are closer clearance and therefore a smaller hearth pad required.

For the size you are looking to heat, don't even consider the Castine. Go with the Oslo, or even consider the F600.

Also, side loading is the only way to load a stove. Don't let the wife win on this one, you'll regret it.

Top loading is MAJORLY a convenience, but you can live with out it.

Next in preference I would say is a stove that allows either N-S loading from the front, or E-W loading from the side (i.e. loading the stove with the logs going in with the ends facing you) as this allows more convenient packing of the firebox with less risk of logs rolling back out at you.

Soapstone is a slightly more expensive option, but a lot of 24/7 burners really like it, as it delivers a more constant temperature. However IMHO it is really only good for people that burn continuously, like you are planning to do, as it is slower to start delivering heat when you build the first fire. I'm not sure the Homestead would be big enough for you though, I'd be more inclined towards the Heritage.

I would definitely say that if you are undecided, go for the larger firebox, especially if you want it for primary heat! A larger box will give you better burn times, keep the furnace off into colder weather, and so on. Remember that you can build a little fire in a big box, but you can't put a big fire in a little one.

Gooserider

I probably should have mentioned that a porcelin finish is a necessity as my wife realizes that this stove becomes a piece of furniture in the 8 or so months that it is dormant! So even though I appreciate the attributes of the 3610 and the Pacific Energy models, they won't make the cut!

Too bad. But, I've owned both and I would have to agree. I'm partial to enameled stoves, particularly the Jotuls. They do a great job with their enamel. Our Castine stays sharp looking with no more than an occassional wipe with a damp cloth.

I'd visit a Quad/VC/Hearthstone dealer with her and look at the Isle Royale. It has a minimum hearth pad dimension of 37 x 40, (though I would go with the Canadian spec of 45 x 49). Or if you are ok with a cat stove, the Vermont Castings Defiant is a nice looking stove that has been out for quite a while. And have you looked at soapstone stoves like the Hearthstone Mansfield? They also have an enameled stove - the Bennington.

My flipside arguement if you want to use it, is that while the porcelain may look good when it is in good shape, it is far easier to damage either by hitting it with something heavy, or as Elk found out the hard way, by spilling liquids on it. It can also easily be damaged by over-firing. If it does get damaged, repairs are going to be difficult and / or expensive to make as there is essentially no way to invisibly "touch up" enamel, so you have to repair by replacing parts.
(probably not under warranty, since finishes are usually not covered) I don't know just how delicate it is, but my understanding is that the enamel on a wood stove is not as rugged as what you get on a kitchen stove or refrigerator - presumably because of the increased temperature range.

OTOH, a painted stove can easily be touched up with a can of "Stove Bright" paint as needed, or even completely repainted - in the original shade, or changing the color... In addition, the painted versions of most stoves are less expensive than the enamel ones unless you possibly get a special deal on a demo stove or some such.

Because of this, I actually go the other way, and say that an enamel finish is a reason not to purchase... However opinions certainly can vary on this, it's a definite personal choice type issue, there are no code rules that say to go with one or the other.

Gooserider

the suggestion I'm making will cost you money you want heat and appearance right? you want enamal finish that is pleasing to your wife right what about a stove an enamal stove
with a 3.4 cu ft fire box easily can achieve 10 /12 hour burns and is as close to set and forget controls as it gets. Has a convenient dustless ash removal system Attractive red enamal moon light blue and other colors And made completely in USA by American workers no imported castings No Chinese parts. Very attractive and functional warming shelves and mitten drying racks

I think I have the other half back on board for the Oslo! There is a 9 year old one on ebay right now that appears to be going for almost $1500!!! I can get a deal on a new one in VA. for $1950! Isn't that price a bit shocking?? I was tempted for a while since it is just up the road in Northern, VA. but the age of it made me reconsider!

here is a picture

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 556
  • highres_222.jpg
    highres_222.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 555
My stove in operation with the open fire screen option
http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/?action=view&current=IM006496.jpg

Front view of fire

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/?action=view&current=IM006494.jpg

Top view setup with thermometer location in operations

Note the granite field stone behind the stove it absorbs heat and releases it for hours after the stove burns down. I built this 4 flue fireplace chimney using the field stones found on my lot

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/?action=view&current=IM006495.jpg.

This is when I first brought it home and soon after the total cleaning and inspections /repairs if needed. Not bad for $500 burnt only two seasons.

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/?action=view&current=IM006439.jpg

Since then I have added the warming shelves and mitten racks, not shown at the time of the picture taking. A must have, my wife raises bread on them and we do dry mittens and scarfs on the drying racks. It will burn over hours of productive heat and carried the entire heating zone plus most of the upstairs. My wife finally has taken an interest and has become a master in operations really not much to do load set and forget It was not my first choice in color but $500 and I was able to get to like it especially the way it operates and the consistent predictable heating result
for some reason when I type in the links everything before the question mark shows up it even showes up in the edit function but fail to provide a link when poasted
so to view one must cut and paste this header link in front of the rest of the link

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/ top left click on page 2

Mike Wilson said:
Pimp.

-- Mike

I thought personal attacks and insults were frowned upon in this forum. Maybe the explainer needs that explained to him
I made no mention of a manufacturer. I do not work for any manufactures. I never said it was better than the stoves they were considering and never cast one negative word about any other stove in consideration. I offered an alternative they can chose from cast iron enamel

Oh, and I thought the reference was because the stove looks like a new standard for whorehouse red. ;-)

BeGreen said:
Oh, and I thought the reference was because the stove looks like a new standard for whorehouse red. ;-)

Exactly. And that's why I posted it... the God damned thing is Whorehouse Red... reminds me of all those red PEs on this board, and a new TV show we should start... you know, as in, Pimp My Stove.

I don't know why Elk feels the need to defend himself all the time... Elk, you know, the world does rotate around other things.

-- Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.