Jotul Oslo - weight reduction for moving

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fattire

Oct 7, 2008
Colorado
I need to move a new Oslo half way across the state to a remote cabin for an install. I suspect I am going to be short on help, maybe just one helper, so I want to strip down as much weight as possible. Wondering what I might be able to remove to reduce weight in addition to the doors? How much weight could I take off? How should I plan to move this thing inside? I was thinking of rolling its base crate on some sections of plastic pipe. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

Taking the door off is a good start. FWIW, I've moved a Castine and then the 585# Alderlea T6 with just a commercial hand truck. The trick was using a couple ratchet straps to secure the stove to the hand truck. After that it was relatively easy to move.

With the handtruck, what did you rest the stove on? (What part of the stove was being lifted?)

The Alderlea was on a palette. The Castine wasn't, so I used wood blocking to build up the hand truck shelf until it contacted the underside of the stove alongside of the ashpan. Another approach might be to use a piece of 3/4" plywood cut a bit larger than the legs footprint and that could be ratchet strapped to create a base for moving the stove as well.

I used the same as BeGreen--hand truck and rachet strap to move my new stove in (the stove was on a pallet). I had used the same hand truck and rachet strap to move the old stove out (the old stove wasn't on a pallet, but was a pedestal model and the hand truck fit nicely under the base of the pedestal). Good luck, be careful and take your time when moving it.

I surprised Brother Bart had not been here recommending to take the wood out of it first.

There is a tiny washer on the upper hinge of front door that would be easy to lose....
Also you can pull out the firebrick and grate...also used a frig cart. (with straps on palette)

Adding to above, you can take out:
Doors
Bricks
Grate
Top Grate (oval)
Shouldn't be that heavy, use a few 6x6 blocks unter the stove and then strap to a cart. Should be very secure even for the drive/move.

NOt sure how much that Oslo weighs but I moved two very heave stoves a few years back with just a good hand truck and one helper. This year, we moved the Castine with 3 guys, but really only two at a time because it is not really easy to get 3 guys in there. The guy I bought it from had rolling a dolly we put it on. Not really a big deal with 2 strong folks.

I just moved an Oslo last weekend. This is what I did.

1. Removed doors - just wiggle back and forth with upwards pressure
2. Removed ash pan - just slide it out
3. Remove ash pan compartment - there are four bolts underneath
3. Remover ash grate from inside stove

This dropped the weight considerably. I then wrapped the stove in pads and tipped it on its side (the one without the door) and onto a hand truck. You will need two people to lower it down nice and slow. Then strap her to the handtruck and you are ready to go. I moved it around on the handtruck by myself without a problem. Getting down a step or two or over door plates may require another person.

I was a bit unsure of whether it is ok to put a stove on its side, but it seemed to work fine for me. Folks - any issues with putting a stove on its side?

Oh yeah - I rented a UHaul truck with a ramp. Just rolled the stove right up in there and strapped it to the side wall.

Good luck!

If the stove is brick lined, I would certainly try to take the bricks out... that should lighten it by a few dozen pounds, plus allow the bricks to be separately packed and thus a bit less susceptible to breakage during the move.

Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.