Jotul problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLEWIS

Jan 1, 2009
western ma
Hello,
I have a Jotul 500 wood stove that I purchased roughly 3 years ago. I love the stove and use it 24/7 each fall and winter to heat my home. Unfortunately, I have noticed that in the past 2 weeks it doesn't seem to be reaching the high temps. it did on previous occassions. When I examined the stove I noticed that the (please forgive my ignorance on the technical names) burner mechanism on the top was hanging down and flames were shooting out the floo. When the stove cooled I noticed that the burner appeared to be broken from the back wall and shards of ceramic were in the tube.
1. Is this an item that should break under normal circumstances?
2. Can I replace this piece?
3. How do I remove this piece?
4. Can I repair this mysaelf?

I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks and have a great New Years!
Jim

Happy New Year, Jim
See if you've got the owner's manual for your Oslo, it will label each part with a description so we will know EXACTLY which part it is that is broken...
If you don't wanna search for your manual, cut & paste the links below & get back to us with your findings!

Here's the exploded diagram:

http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 500 Oslo/Exploded_view_F_500_P06_161208.pdf

And the parts list:

http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 500 Oslo/Spareparts_F_500_P20_161208.pdf

HTH

Hi Jim, I have an Oslo too and once in a while when I try to stuff too large of a piece of wood in the box I jar the secondary tubes and holders off their mounting system. The tube holders are two piece (top and bottom) assemblies that screw together into which the tubes are fixed. The assemblies hang onto the back wall of the stove supported by a small shelf on the ends of the stove, a short oval neck opening that the assemblies fit into coming out of the back of the stove and finally each side has a nut with a large washer that clamps to top of each assembly to the stove back-wall. If the whole thing is hanging down, it sounds like you've knocked the upper tube system off its mountings. Its kind of a pain in the butt reattaching it, but it can be done. I'd try to explain how I do it, but if you have any shred of mechanical apptitude, you'll most likely figure an easier way than my tortuous path!! One hint though, don't forget to preposition the vermiticulite covering & blanket that go above the tubes before putting the tubes up. As far as where the shards of ceramic came from, is it possible you somehow cracked that vermiticulite top above the tubes?... I'm not sure..... Good luck and like others have said, keep coming back if you have any questions. Lots of friendly, helpful people here.

Chris

Welcome to the forum Jim!

Sorry about your stove. It seems we have not built the perfect wood stove in any brand, but there is good news. You have came to the right place for help.

Chances are you can fix it yourself!

I do not know what is the case with your unit (which is a fine stove by any standard) but, there have been reports of the upper baffle breaking on the Jotul 500 (aka Oslo). Some members of this forum have done this replacement and have also reported the procedure and what parts to get.

There is a search feature that is handy for looking these things up and you are always welcome to ask. People here are eager to share what they know and you will be amazed at what you will learn.

I have a 6 year old Oslo with cast iron baffles. Have they gone to a ceramic baffle in the newer models?

I've often said to my brother, who owns an F600, that a ceramic baffle would be disasterous in these stoves. I hit the burn tubes and baffle at least once a day. He agreed.

The cast iron baffles that go on top cost about $50 a piece, and you need two of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.