Jotul Rep Input..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
vegemom said:
Eric: I am south of Pottstown and I am dealing with Kring's on Rt 100 in Boyertown.. have you had any experience with them? I was very happy with the amount of time they took to help me when I was shopping, as I was in their shop multiple times and asked a lot of questions over a few months before I was ready to buy. The guys seem to know what they are talking about, though now I am not so sure..
I have not had experience with Krings. I've heard of folks that had good luck with the stove shop in Phoenixville, but that's about as far northwest as I go from the city. I'm in North Wales, near Montgomeryville. I know what you mean about the cold weather. I woke this morning to the sound of my oil furnace. Got up right away and started a fire. Can't be burning oil when I've got 5+ dry cords of wood waiting for me. :) Sorry I can't help with Krings.

Eric

Craig.. thanks for the info. It makes me feel a little better knowing that I'm probably not getting 'the run around', and it's just typical new product issues. I will be happy whenever I get the unit, but I will be happier with 'sooner' more so than 'later'. My dealer told me today that they expect mid-November delivery at the very soonest, and more likely it will be late-November. I have an install date of 11/20, and they are not rescheduling me at this point, so that's a good sign! I plan to stack wood this weekend, and get working on my tiling.. and maybe turn the heat on - with the thermostat set really, really low! :lol:

Eric.. I've dealt with the Stove Shop before (they installed our BIS II for the prior owners of our last house) and they are very helpful and knowledgeable, too. I decided on Kring's only because they have been in busines longer. Both shops have a solid reputation, so I don't think I could have gone wrong with either one. I hope to sign the praises of Kring's in a couple of weeks! :)

Any news on the Rockland? I am looking to purchase either the 450 kennebec or 550 rockland insert. I don't want to have to wait months for the rockland to become available unless it is worth it. My installer mentioned I could hook up the blower by putting the cord and extention cord through the ash pan in my fireplace and run it though the basement. Anyone have any thoughts.

Turns out Kring's ordered the very first unit at a trade show, so they will get the first one/s off the production line. Jotul faxed a manual for the Rockland to my Kring's sales guy on Thursday, but said it could still change. Krings has not changed my November install date yet, but did say that the stove is not likely to come by the 15th.. more like the end of the month, and that could change.

soxfan13 said:
Any news on the Rockland? I am looking to purchase either the 450 kennebec or 550 rockland insert. I don't want to have to wait months for the rockland to become available unless it is worth it. My installer mentioned I could hook up the blower by putting the cord and extention cord through the ash pan in my fireplace and run it though the basement. Anyone have any thoughts.

That would be a MAJOR code violation!!! The rule is that you are NEVER supposed to run a line cord, extension cord, etc. in such a way that the device is plugged into a room other than the room the device is in. IOW, you are NOT supposed to run cords through doorways, or between floors. The outlet you plug into MUST be in the same room that the insert is in.

Part of this is a safety issue of not wanting the possibility of having the cord getting plugged in while the device is being worked on. In this case I'd also be worried about the heat in the firebox and running the cord under the insert to reach the ash drop.

Repeating the above mentioned information AGAIN - you may be OK to plug into an outlet box that is installed in the fireplace IF AND ONLY IF this is specified as acceptable in the insert manual, and if done according to the manual instructions for box type, placement, etc. Otherwise you will need to run the cord across the hearth, and plug into an outlet IN THE SAME ROOM as the insert.

Gooserider

Thanks for your help guys. It sounds like the installer I have talked to doesn't quite know what he is talking about. Isn't he suppossed to be the expert? He is liscensed and insured too.

Still waiting to see if anyone gets the Jotul Rockland in. It seems that I am definately choosing between the rockland and kennebec.

vegemom said:
Turns out Kring's ordered the very first unit at a trade show, so they will get the first one/s off the production line. Jotul faxed a manual for the Rockland to my Kring's sales guy on Thursday, but said it could still change. Krings has not changed my November install date yet, but did say that the stove is not likely to come by the 15th.. more like the end of the month, and that could change.

So they don't have the stove yet, the expected delivery date is subject to change, and the manual itself, which you got from Jotul, may still change? How badly do you want a stove for this season?

-- Mike

:lol: If the Quad insert would fit, I'd have it installed this week. As it is, we're piling on the sweaters and we turned on the oil heater.. though I am still hoping we have a fire before Spring!

soxfan13 said:
Thanks for your help guys. It sounds like the installer I have talked to doesn't quite know what he is talking about. Isn't he suppossed to be the expert? He is liscensed and insured too.

Still waiting to see if anyone gets the Jotul Rockland in. It seems that I am definately choosing between the rockland and kennebec.

being an inspector in Ma, I really would like to know what license he holds? You really have me wondering after his cord suggestion

this could be interesting sounds like a lot of BS please provide me his name and I will check with the state to see if he is licensed We inspectors have access to the licensing pages of the BBRS web site In fact the general public also can check to see if a contractor is licensed..

Can you play along for a bit and ask him what license he holds? please make my day

My dealer now says January. I went with the firelight 600 and put it in the fireplace. Best move I ever made. The stove is fantastic and I get the ashpan and a bigger firebox. Cranks out tons of heat. At these oil prices I couldn't wait any longer especially when the date for the Rockland has been pushed back at least 4 times since July.

Titan, the Rockland is the largest one, heats up to 1800 square feet and has about a 70,000 BTU output. Specs say it will take up to 24" wood, but 16-20" should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.