Jotul Research Burn...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
That was an interesting thread on Jotul temps.

I have one of the early Firlight CBs (F600, but I think mine was marketed under a different number.) I use a few different fire styles, but was interested in graphing a typical "burn for maximum warm-up of house" If I can figure out how to pdf-a-fy the graph, I'll post it. As a synopsis:

Ambient conditions: 10 degrees outside, stove/house temp 64. Wood: Seasoned Lodge Pole Pine, large, medium, and small splits, to absolutely pack the firebox. (North/South loading) Useable Heat: arbitrarily defined as 200 degrees. Objective: determine length of heat cycle. 'Meaured temp every 10 minutes.

Notes: cheap "Home Saver" thermometer set at right rear of stove. The elevated oval on the center-top of the stove got WAY TOO HOT to touch before the thermometer registered 85! I guess the whole heat measurement is, therefore, pretty subjective.

Long and short of it: Very steep climb with top temp registering 550 at about 1 hour, air cut to under 1/2, and cruised 475-500. Dropped to 200 degrees at almost exactly 5 hours after lighting. (I can get easy overnighters, but with lower max temps and air setting.)

Detailed description to follow.

Dexter

Status
Not open for further replies.