Jotul Rockland & Hearthstone Clydesdale Owners: Blower Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Famer

Aug 18, 2008
NJ
I haven't had a chance to see either of these units in person yet (but I will at some point) and was just wondering if the blower cord on either of these units can be hidden and/or disconnected from the unit when it's not in use? Is it possible to route the power cord for the blower through the hearth floor to, say, an outlet in my basement?

Just trying to figure out how to get the "cleanest" look when the unit is in - or out - of use.

Thanks!

On the Clydesdale the power cord comes out the bottom of the blower, near center. It can therefore be routed to either side and doesn't look too bad.

I suppose you could drill through the hearth and route the cord below (maybe to the basement?) but you would be making a pretty severe change to the hearth, probably violating code in doing so. I wouldn't do it; it's a pretty clean look even with the power cord placed as intended.

The cord on the Rockland can be installed on either side and comes out at the bottom corner of the surround panel. If you lift off the surround panel you could unplug the power cord from the stove during the summer non use months. The Rockland is a flush insert and the blowers are underneath, it is a nice looking unit. So far I only ran in from the beginning of march for a Month until it got warmer and am still on a learning curve, but it heats our whole 1800 sq ft raised ranch. Still working on getting longer burn times.

There has been other posts on this site suggesting making holes down to the basement for power, but it was viewed by most to be unsafe and not within fire code to do.

EngineRep and Woodheat - thanks for the info!

EngineRep - can the cord on the Clysdale be wrapped up and stuffed inside the unit when not in use?

Thanks again!

Famer said:
EngineRep - can the cord on the Clysdale be wrapped up and stuffed inside the unit when not in use?

You could probably coil the cord so that most everything is under the blower housing (maybe the plug would protrude).

Status
Not open for further replies.