Jotul Rockland installation problem...advice???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chainsawdad

Hi Team,

I ordered the Rockland insert a couple of months ago and was getting psyched for the installation scheduled for today, but got a call from the dealer who said they had tried installing two Rocklands last week in fireplaces that also had 26" high clearance, and they couldn't do it. The Rockland catalogue requires a minimum fireplace opening height of 23.75", but the dealer said that the problem is that with 26" there is no room for them to connect the flue pipe. Anyone else run into similar problems? Or have ideas for a solution?

I am also looking into alternatives, in case I can't work out the Rockland. I want an insert with a suround that will fill most of the 45" width of the existing fireplace, so I don't want to step down to the Jotul Kennebec. Hearthstone Clydesdale looks like it might be an option. Anyone have feedback about that insert. Also, from what I can tell the VC Montpelier might be an option, although I think it may be similar in size to the Kennebec. Other suggestions???

Thanks!

Tell your installers to read the installation manual...The liner is connected by removing the tubes & baffles & pulling the liner & adapters down from the inside of the firebox while reaching up thru the flue...I've done a number of these with openings shorter than 26" without any problems...

Thanks, Custerstove. I had noticed that issue, and even with the extended 44" surround I need a further extension to cover the half-inch gaps at either side. The installers are providing black sheet metal backing to close the gaps, so I'll have to see how it looks, and I figure I can always tinker with it if it doesn't work (mortar fill? something else?...we'll see)

Status
Not open for further replies.