Jotul Rockland Stove Top Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EJL923

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Western Mass
Hi,
I have a Jotul Rockland insert and was wondering what kind of temperatures these inserts can withstand. If I am burning good seasoned wood, the stove top will cruise 600-650 with the air control completely closed. I have always used non epa style stoves which i could always damper down manually. The thermometer is placed inside the air outlet for the blowers, directly on the steel firebox top, not the blower shroud. For the stove to be that hot without the ability to control any lower is concerning.

Have you checked out the 'Jotul c550 Rockland tips thread' yet? 12 pages of info. from 550 owners.

I burn at 650 - 700 on a regular basis. Mine likes to cruise there. If you get concerned about going too high (I have hit 800* several times and all was okay.) and you have air all the way closed - turn your blower on high and allow cooler air to circulate around the firebox. You can always open a window or door and let more cold air in too.

What you are burning at now though seems pretty normal. These inserts can handle the higher temps. ( I got nervous with my old insert if it hit 500*.... a smaller and not as sturdy insert as this one is.)

Have you checked out the 'Jotul c550 Rockland tips thread' yet? 12 pages of info. from 550 owners.

I burn at 650 - 700 on a regular basis. Mine likes to cruise there. If you get concerned about going too high (I have hit 800* several times and all was okay.) and you have air all the way closed - turn your blower on high and allow cooler air to circulate around the firebox. You can always open a window or door and let more cold air in too.

What you are burning at now though seems pretty normal. These inserts can handle the higher temps. ( I got nervous with my old insert if it hit 500*.... a smaller and not as sturdy insert as this one is.)

Yes, i've checked out the pages. It is good to hear that someone else cruises at the same temps. That way i know it is designed to be that way and not a manufacturing error.

I also cruise at 600 to 650 and have been up in the high 700's last winter. Made me nervous at first but then I got use to it. Let her rip!

I agree with all the responses. I still get a little nervous at the thermometer, but the stove never looks like an overheated stove, no glowing metal or anything. I cruise at 600-650. Not rare to see 700* for a minute and have seen 800* a few times. Shut the air and put the fan on high. Problem solved. This stove just has a different "sweetspot", as I imagine they all do.
Good thread. Nice to know we are all in the same boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.