Jotul Rockland Thermometer Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bdog

Oct 8, 2008
Western NY
My Jotul Rockland is being installed today and I would like to put a thermometer on it. It is a flush face insert, and access to the pipe etc will be tough once it is installed. Can I just use a surface mount thermometer near the air output from the blower? If so, what adjustment factor should I use (i.e. thermometer reads 300, so temp is actually 400, etc)?

Thanks,

I've been curious about this as well. I have not a good size burn going yet but on the few small ones I've had I got the thermometer up to about 250. I placed it in the upper left hand corner of the door just below the air output (above the door handle). I'm sure the folks out there will have some good suggestions soon.

The Rockland is very hard to get a good reading on. The temps are all over the place depending on where you put it. I would not put the thermometer on the spot just above the door, that is the air manifold where the cold air comes into the insert. The temp at that location is significantly lower than the rest of the stove especially when the air is open more. Most people on this site that have a magnetic thermometer put it on the top of the stove just inside where the air comes out from the blower. I am going to get one and put it in the top center where the air comes out.

Currently I have a laser IR thermometer that will read a 1 inch section from 11 inches away or 2 inches at 22in away etc. I have take reading all over the face of the stove and the hottest spot is where I described above. The strip to the right and left of the door will vary depending on which side of the stove is running hotter and can vary from the to stove reading by as much as 200 degrees. Same with the spot above the door handle. After the stove is fully up to temp, I find when the top center inside where the air comes out is over 500 it is really throwing some heat. I have never had is over 650 that I have read.

I ended up speaking with Jotul about this last year after my C550 was installed. I'll forward a photo tonight but the most accurate location is to slide a stove pipe therm. into the vent where the hot air gets expelled.

I have my magnetic thermometer in the flat part where the hot air comes out. I assume it runs hot there but I don't know how hot. It can also be difficult to read but that is what seems to work best for me.

I have my therm. on the center top of the door. Reading is not as accurate as my IR therm. but I know if it reads 400* it is probably 100* hotter. I just adjust and use the numbers to know when to add more wood... If it drops below a 300* reading on the door it is a whole lot harder to get the new wood going without a lot of smoke.

I'm not looking for accuracy just wether or not temps are holding, rising or falling.

When I want a more accurate read I pull out the IR but, as others have said, temps vary according to where it is pointed.

Thanks,

I think I'll start with the thermometer on the top vent or top part of the door. I don't really feel like I need an exact number. I just want soemting to give me an idea of what is going on.

Not the best picture but you get the idea...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,153
Leakypuppy,

Yup, I know the spot, but I am not keen on putting a hole in the pipe. Are you suggesting to just put the thermometer in the space, but not put a hole in the pipe?

Thanks,

No hole, its just a magnetic stove pipe thermometer that slides into the slot. I need to bend down and use a maglite to read it but per Jotul its the most accurate place to have it...

Thanks,Leakypuppy, now I know where to put thermometer to get a reasonably accurate read. I have only run the 550 about five times (conserving wood) but it seems to heat a large area quite well. How did you get the surround to fit flush with your fireplace?

When referring to my surround what picture are you looking at ? The surround isn't viewable in the pic I posted showing the thermometer placement but you can see it in this photo. It took the installers a bit of work to get it right, I made them come back a few times untill it was right.

Attachments

• jotul.jpg
    jotul.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 977
Thanks for the photo and your situation. My surround is about an 1" away on the top and decreases on the sides from 1" to flush on the very bottom. I can see the steel firebox extends beyond the brick about 1 to 1 1/2". Does your firebox extend beyond the brick face?

No my surround is flush all the way around. Did you install yourself or did the installer explain why the stove doesn't fit properly? Perhaps your fireplace isn't deep enough?

Fireplace is deep enough. It is 40" from front to back. I had someone else install it. I hopoe it is a simple fix.

leakypuppy: Did you place the thermometer inside of the hot air exhaust vents? I can't really identify from your photo where the thermometer was placed.

Thanks for your input.

Yes, just slide the stove pipe thermometer into the exhaust slot.

Hey leakypuppy: That location for the thermometer works great! Thanks again for the info.

I think the correct temp may be scewed reading with this set up. I have double wall stove pipe with both a probe therm and a surface therm and sometimes the readings are the same...like when a cold stove starts up... and then the difference can be as much a 300-400 degrees difference between the stove top therm and the probe(flue temp) therm...with the prbe being hotter , but mostltly the surface therm does not let you burn hot enough to burn off the creosote because it's proper placement is 18" above the stove and when you set the therm on the stove you get hotter readings than actually what is happening for efficient burning. IMHO

Okay, the best place for the surface thermometer is on top of the rockland stove center in the exhaust vent - thanks for the tip. What king of temperatures are you guys getting? My insert seems to heat up to 400 degrees F very quickly and can get very hot, perhaps 600 to 700 F. Generally the temperature seems to be around 500 F with good secondary burns. Should I be burning at lower temps to get a longer over night burn? Yesterday the stove was about 500 F durning the 8th inning and full of wood, six and half hours later there were plenty of coals to start her back up with small pieces of wood - stove temp was just above 200F.

I have my thermometer in the same place. I usually have temps in the 500 to 600 range. It seems to like to be there. However, I have been up as high as 800. When I reload, after I cut the air again the temps can easily get above 700. I don't see any problem...no glowing or anything. Of course I don't think the manual says. When it is burning that hot, I do make sure the blower is on high.

soxfan13 said:
I have my thermometer in the same place. I usually have temps in the 500 to 600 range. It seems to like to be there. However, I have been up as high as 800. When I reload, after I cut the air again the temps can easily get above 700. I don't see any problem...no glowing or anything. Of course I don't think the manual says. When it is burning that hot, I do make sure the blower is on high.

What kind of stove pipe have you got? Single wall or doube wall? With single wall pipe 575 F is usually the highest in the safe zone, but if you have DVL pipe 900F is the highest in the safe zone

Status
Not open for further replies.