Jotul sold for $1500 and Fireview be here end of next week.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes indeed on the pic's.Took an awful loss but it has to be done. Thanks.

I think you made a good choice. The lose will be made up in the long run.

Todd is right! You will be very happy Bub.

Hello Bub,
If you don't mind tell us a little about your set up. House, square feet, install, many photos, etc. Have wanted a Fireview for quite a while, but thiking of looking at other brands now. They are quite expensive. Then there is that CAT controversy. Can't argue about the Woodstock's customer service though. All here agree it is the best out there.
Tim

I'm sure you posted about it before,can you say why the rangeley didn't work out for you?

Too much heat for his home. I believe he's working with 1100-1300 sq ft and the Jotul was roasting them out. He's going cat so he can run at lower temps.

Hello Bub,
If you don't mind tell us a little about your set up. House, square feet, install, many photos, etc. Have wanted a Fireview for quite a while, but thiking of looking at other brands now. They are quite expensive. Then there is that CAT controversy. Can't argue about the Woodstock's customer service though. All here agree it is the best out there.
Tim

Some like cats, others do not. It's a preference/need. As far as running a cat, it only requires replacing the cat every 2-5 years at about $100 per replacement. If this is too much work/expense for you, then a cat stove is not in your future.

Holy Crap! $100 possibly every 2 years? No way. I was under the impression they were not even making CAT stoves any more.....

Holy Crap! $100 possibly every 2 years? No way. I was under the impression they were not even making CAT stoves any more.....
Woodstock has a 6 year warranty, replacement free first 3 years then pro rated for 3 more. After the 6th year a new cat will cost you $125.

Yes it was too much stove for our 1300 sq ft.Thanks Browning B.The stove room is small,10'x13'.The other rooms are like 13'x20' and some smaller,some a little bigger.We move the cold air around real well.I did the tissue test in all rooms.Plenty of heat overall and good light flow throughout.Corner install and straight up through the knee wall upstairs to about 12' of pipe once through the roof.Ran stove @300 on most days and around 400 on the coldest days.500 RARELYJust too much heat,stove room in the 90's and 100's and rest of the house plenty warm.That's running @ 300 at 20 outside.The other problem was creosote buildup in pipe and cap.This stove was 1 heck of a stove and the only negative was the $300 blower blew most air up at the ceiling and moved little of it.The flue heat shield has a little flap to direct the air towards the front of the stove but the pipe is so close to it that ya can't bend it to do so.I wouldn't waste my time with a blower on the Rangeley.The stove itself was awesome,i just couldn't run it hot enough to activate the 2ndaries.Hope i answered your questions.

Some like cats, others do not. It's a preference/need. As far as running a cat, it only requires replacing the cat every 2-5 years at about $100 per replacement. If this is too much work/expense for you, then a cat stove is not in your future.
Browning BAR,
The hundred bucks more or less for a replacement CAT has nothing to do with it. If you have been reading the threads since Woodstock went steel you know what I mean. I personally like them. Just think the jury is still out.
Tim

Browning BAR,
The hundred bucks more or less for a replacement CAT has nothing to do with it. If you have been reading the threads since Woodstock went steel you know what I mean. I personally like them. Just think the jury is still out.
Tim

Solution is; don't use a steel cat if it worries you. Either way you will still need to replace the cat every two to five years.

Did I say every two years? No, I said every "two to five years" which depends upon how you run the stove and what condition your fuel is in.

Hello Bub,
Tim

Tim. What is the controversy? I don't understand.

Tim. What is the controversy? I don't understand.
Dennis and others please,
Goes back to the thread started by Todd last February (Calling in the warranty ln Woodstock steel CAT"). 281 replies to that thread and several more started since then.
Tim

Goes back to the thread started by Todd last February (Calling in the warranty ln Woodstock steel CAT"). 281 replies to that thread and several more started since then.
Tim

Like I said, don't use a steel cat if you are concerned about using a steel cat. That's if you want to use a cat stove. Nothing wrong with using a non-cat stove. Purchase what you are comfortable with.

Tim

Tim, do not think that 281 replies make a controversy. That is discussion about one thing. Yes, Woodstock and their supplier are attempting to make things better but that does not mean it is a big problem. Also, although we changed our cat, our cost for that was $0.00. The time involved in changing the cat was less than 5 minutes. Nope. Not a big problem at all.

BrowningBAR, Dennis,
I hear you and understand.
Tim

Too much heat for his home. I believe he's working with 1100-1300 sq ft and the Jotul was roasting them out. He's going cat so he can run at lower temps.

I'm running a Rangeley in a non-open floor layout of about 1260 sq ft. I'll vouch for the output of that thing. Holy heater Batman....

For us it's light it, get up to temp, shut it down and let it go either to just coals or completely out and re-light later when we need it. (Usually 2x a day this very mild winter) At the time of purchase we were dead-set against a cat-stove, (Didn't want the replacement costs) and the wife didn't think soapstone would go well on our hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.