Jotul Stove Question - Lack of Air Flow Problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohio

Jun 9, 2013
ohio
We have a Jotul TL Rangeley with the outside air kit that was install this Summer. Problem is the stove never seems to get any warmer (based on the stove temp. gauge placement per jotul's instructions) than 400- 450 degrees even when the air control is opened all the way. However, when the ash door is opened the stove heats up rapidly. Any ideas on what to check? I checked the outdoor air pipe and it is clear and 4 inches in diameter.

Thanks ahead of time.

I have a Rangeley...and I cannot say for sure what the stove top temp reaches (havent ordered the stove top temp gauge yet)... but what I can tell you is that it is defintely doing its job heating this place (and then some). Is your house hot, and you are just asking about the number?

How is your wood... is it truly seasoned? Where are you running the stove air at (like... how far from 'closed' to do you keep it)?

Are you able to control your air, that is, is there a noticable difference when you cut air? If so then air control should be ok. If the wood is dry, which usually means at least 2yrs since split for most hardwoods then cutting the air often results in hotter stove. In fact opening the air all the way is actually a way of cooling a stove since you are sending a lot of cool air into the stove and out to atmosphere. If you slowly cut the air and the fire goes out, you prob have less than well seasoned firewood.

Could be poorly seasoned wood. Test the wood by resplitting a couple of the thicker splits and then checking for moisture on the freshly exposed face of the split. You can do this with a moisture meter or put it up against your cheek.

PS: Don't use the ashpan door to start or warm up the fire. That will void that warranty and may crack the base for an expensive repair.

Could be poorly seasoned wood. Test the wood by resplitting a couple of the thicker splits and then checking for moisture on the freshly exposed face of the split. You can do this with a moisture meter or put it up against your cheek.

PS: Don't use the ashpan door to start or warm up the fire. That will void that warranty and may crack the base for an expensive repair.

All,

Thanks. I'll check the wood (oak that is split and sitting stacked & covered for 3 yrs). II'll also cut the air & see if the stove heats up. Our old stove (1986 vintage steel stove) would get hotter as the air control opened to the point that if you were not careful, the stove could over heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.