Jotul Stove Temp versus Pipe Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
I have been burning the new F3 CB in the office for a few days now. One thing I see is that started up and up to operating temp, around 550 - 600, the verticle pipe which is four feet into a 90 into the thimble is only around 250 degrees. It is great that the stove and the pipe are giving off most of the heat to the room but I am a little concerned that the stack isn't hot enough. The chimney is exhausting perfectly clear heat waves. Not a lick of smoke.

Is this pretty much what the rest of the Jotul freestanding burners see or do your pipes run hotter?

Outside of the pipe, or are you using a probe?

I have a double-wall pipe coming out the back of mine so I haven't even bothered to check. I'm sure it is much cooler than single wall stovepipe. I am curious what the internal temp is though.

wahoowad said:
Outside of the pipe, or are you using a probe?

I have a double-wall pipe coming out the back of mine so I haven't even bothered to check. I'm sure it is much cooler than single wall stovepipe. I am curious what the internal temp is though.

Don't know on the internal temp. My measurements are on the surface of a single wall pipe.

The surface of the black pipe is not that far from the internal temperature of the gas.

Although its a two dimensional heat transfer problem, one can approximate it as a plane wall, one dimensional problem and see that the surface temp of the steel, given a room temp of 70 deg F and flue gas temps of 300 deg F, there is about a 57 degree temperature difference between the flue gas in the pipe and the outer wall of the pipe, assuming neglible insulating effects from the creosote on the inside of the pipe.

Maybe I'll throw together a rough chart of values for various outer flue temperatures that will tell you the actual temp inside the pipe, possible a helpful wiki item.

For what it is worth, I have a Jotul Castine and when my surface temperature is about 550 degrees my stack thermometer reads about 350-375 degrees. My thermometer is about 12 inches off the surface of the stove.

I don't have a Jotul, but my pipe temps taken 2' above the stove on single wall are usually somewhere between 275-350 when the stove top is around 450-600. I think as long as it is burning clean there should be very little creasote forming thingies, so newer stoves can get away with a lower stack temp than the old pre EPA stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.