Jotul Stove's pilot light goes out when turned on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcd

Dec 17, 2015
california
Hi folks your help would be greatly appreciated:
Last year during summer I turned my pilot off. And since it has gotten cold and I wanted to light the pilot light. To my dismay the pilot was lit; however when I tried to turn the pilot knob to the ON position it goes out.
I went down to the place where I had bought this unit fifteen years ago and was informed that the Thermocouple needed to be replaced. I did just that and it did not make a difference. Re checked with the person where I bought the stove and was informed that I needed to replace the pilot assembly. I replaced it ($202) And it did not change. Re I checked the MV on the thermocouple (holding the pilot knob on to allow the flame to heat the thermocouple and attaching the end of the thermocouple to my volt meter) and the reading was 5mv. I then went back to the store and I got a replacement thermocouple (checked it like before and got a reading of 20mv) screwed it on and it did not make a difference.
What am I doing wrong or what should I do?

Last edited:
Thanbk you for your response. IT is a JOTUL Classic DV NG Allagagash, that is what the guy at the store told me. Your help is appreciated.

IIRC, Your thermocouple should be reading about 28mV. Try turning the PILOT adjustment screw
on the front of the gas valve. Watch the pilot flame as you turn the screw slowly.
You will see it get larger or smaller. You want it to get larger. Get it to 28mV make sure it holds steady...
Re-install the t-couple into the valve, go thru your lighting procedure again
& let us know how you make out.

Hi Sorry for taking my time to reply as I am working on this stove when time permits.
Thanks for your advice. I checked the reading of the Thermocouple before I messed with the screws and the reading was 21mv.
I then turned one screw big screw and around it is written pilot. it just turns clockwise and counter clockwise and no change in the flame.
I then checked there were two screws just above the pilot know and I can only unscrew or turn counter clock wise and no change.
Apparently I'm not turning the right screw. I've attached three pictures, one shows the pilot lit and the other two shows the one screw with the pilot lettering and the other two scres above the pilot know.

Attachments

• 20151218_115404.jpg
    20151218_115404.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 2,133
  • 20151218_115503.jpg
    20151218_115503.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,854
  • 20151218_115513.jpg
    20151218_115513.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 2,140
Not a problem most of us have real jobs.
The pilot adjustment screw is the BRASS colored, slotted screw visible in the lower pic. 21mV may still not be enough for the pilot.
What is the reading on the thermopile? It is measured between the top (TP-TH) & Middle (TP) Philips screws on the terminal block.
It should be in the 525mV +/-25mV range with the burner knob set to PILOT.
When you turn it to ON, you should hear a CLICK & the reading should drop to 200mV or so...

The pilot adjustment screw is the BRASS colored, slotted screw visible in the lower pic. 21mV may still not be enough for the pilot.
What is the reading on the thermopile? It is measured between the top (TP-TH) & Middle (TP) Philips screws on the terminal block.
When you turn it to ON, you should hear a CLICK & the reading should drop to 200mV or so...
The thermopile reading is 520. I did turn the brass screw and nothing happens, 5 or 6 turns to the right or to the left it makes no difference.

The thermopile reading is 520MV and I did turn the brass screw clockwise and counterclockwise 5 to 6 turns and nothing happens.

The Pilot light goes out immediately and after a minute I hear the click. after I hear the click is when I can turn the knob back to pilot and re-light it.

That click is the sound of the electromagnets closing. The mV from thermocouple keep them open.
Search for SIT valve Ohm test. You may have a bad gas valve. It doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen.
FYI, the two screw above the OFF PILOT ON knob are your pressure ports. If you hook a manometer to them,
you can test the gas pressure coming to the valve at the one labelled IN & the gas pressure to the burner
at the one labelled OUT. Make sure those screws are tight, or you will have a gas leak.

That click is the sound of the electromagnets closing. The mV from thermocouple keep them open.
Search for SIT valve Ohm test. You may have a bad gas valve. It doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen.
FYI, the two screw above the OFF PILOT ON knob are your pressure ports. If you hook a manometer to them,
you can test the gas pressure coming to the valve at the one labelled IN & the gas pressure to the burner
at the one labelled OUT. Make sure those screws are tight, or you will have a gas leak.
Dear DAKSY
Thank you for your help. I replaced the whole unit that I was told to, be the pilot assembly ($202) the unit from gas connection) the only thing that I did not replace is the thermopile. I assume that the gas vale is housed in the unit and since it is new it should be good. If my assumption is incorrect please correct or direct me in the right direction.

The gas valve is where the OFF-PILOT-ON knob is.
The thermocouple screws INTO the valve & the thermopile
is wired to the terminal block ON the valve.
You need to perform an ohm check on the valve itself.
I do not remember the EXACT procedure on a SIT valve.
You will have to search for it, either within this forum or on Google.
One question, tho. Does the pilot stay on if you DON'T turn the knob
to the ON position?

Hi Thank you for helping me resolve my problem.
The pilot stays on.
This summer I turned it off and I lit it a couple of weeks ago; however this time when I turned the pilot knob clock wise to the Pilot On position it went out and I still have to solved this problem. I ve changed the thermocouple twice and the main assembly unit. I am not able to upload a picture as it says that it is too large,

Start a conversation with either Heatsource or barmstrong2.
They are BOTH knowledgeable gas techs.
I'm kinda at a loss for ideas. Probably something simple,
but I'm missing it...

Start a conversation with either Heatsource or barmstrong2.
They are BOTH knowledgeable gas techs.
I'm kinda at a loss for ideas. Probably something simple,
but I'm missing it...
Hi Bob;
Thank you for sharing your document with me. It is very useful to troubleshoot problems. In my case, the only part that I have not replaced is the Thermopile. I will try to clean all of the connections and hopefully it will work. Will keep you all updated.

Hi Bob;
Thank you for sharing your document with me. It is very useful to troubleshoot problems. In my case, the only part that I have not replaced is the Thermopile. I will try to clean all of the connections and hopefully it will work. Will keep you all updated.

Well, actually, Dave Gault posted that. Like I said earlier. He's one of the gas geeks here & knows his stuff.
He has many resources to call upon as well as a whole head full of gas knowledge...

Status
Not open for further replies.