Jotul versus Hearthstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabby12

Mar 8, 2012
Wilm. DE
I thought I would start another post to help others from reading through my first post "adding an addition - wood stove a must".

I have been learning a lot from all teh info provided plus my two visits to local (delaware) stove shops.
Keep in mind DE is not located in an area that everyone burns wood so both of the shops I visited were each an hour (in opposite) directions from my house.
DE lows in winter range from 10 to 30 f with the average staying around 28f I would say.

To re-cap I am about 3 weeks away from breaking ground on adding a 576 s.f. family room.
This room will be 2X6 wall construction with one end being all windows (Anderson 400 series).
The ceiling will be vaulted to 11' with a ceilign fan installed.
The entrance going from main house will be an opening of aprox. 8' wide withno doors - so constantly open to help allow heat to get into main house.
At some point I am planning to knock down a kitchen wall to make a half wall which will be just inside this 8' opening - I think heat from the addition will get into this area as well.

I would say the purpose of the stove will be to heat just this room and whatever flows into main house great but I DON'T want this room to be too hot and uncomfortable to do so.

I have 4 cords cut, stacked and littly covered varrying in lenght from 12" to 20" - lesson learned - when cutting my own wood - keep it short - but when you get wood that others cut - it is waht it is and there is a good chance i will be mostly on the longer side - thus might have to re-cut to accomidate a small stove.

I plan to burn everynight when getting home from work until we go to bed (6 hours) and on weekends.
So I feel having a soapstone stove will not be getting room comfortable quick enough before having to get to bed...

I appreiciate all the models recommendid by others in my other post but am finding most of these are not sold by by local dealers and I don't think I want to go mail order on this project.

So with all that being said I hope I have given you enough info to get my paticular need.

There are soo many stoves out their but I really need to get a few narrowed down so I can pick one out.

A few that I am leaning towards are
Jotul 3CB & 400 Castline:
3 CB - Non Cat, Cast, 265 lbs., 42,000 BTU, rated up to 1,300 s.f., Logs up to 18", 75% eff and 3.78 grams/hr
Castline - Non Cat, Cast, 375 lbs., 55,000 BTU, rated up to 1,600 f.t., Logs up to 20", 75% eff and 3.77 grams/hr

Hearth Stone Craftsbury & Shelburne:
Craftsbury - Non Cat., Cast, 313 lbs., 40,000 BTU, rated up to 1,300 s.f., Logs up to 17", 81% eff and 3.0 grams/hr
Shelburne - Non Cat., Cast, 400 lbs., 50,000 BTU, rated up to 1,800 s.f. Logs up to 20", 80% eff and 2.1 grams/hr

I do realize the the two smaller models (3CB & Craftsbury) are probably the best size for my small room but my hang up is with log size.
I feel that I will constantly be fighting log length with these two models.
I won't really know if these two smaller models are the best size for me until i actually start burning but I just feel the larger stoves (Castline/Shelburne) will be more user frendly regaring wood BUT will i constatnly be fighting too much heat with these stoves?

I understand the purpose of burning the stoves hot to keep creasote down to a minimum and also know that the another key to this is dry wood.

I am going to stop all my ranting and get this post posted before I lose it and have to re-write plus I feel I have written enough to help give everyone where I stand with this.

Wow after reading through my post - a lot of typos - a result of an old laptop that is really touchy plus a nice glass of wine while surfing.
Just wish I had my stove glowing in the corner of room - but that is to come in time.....

Let me add fire box size for the 4 stoves I mentioned:
3CB - 1.17cf
Castline - 1.77cf
Craftsbury - 1.5cf
Shelburne - 2.0 cf

Ignore BTU and square footage ratings. Focus on firebox size.

I'm going with Bbar on this one. Worst thing you can do is undersize and regret it. Plus an 8 foot hole in the wall can vent a lot of heat out of an overcooked room. When you cut and split in the future you'll be glad you don't have to make toothpicks.

I've seen a few dealers here that didn't care for the Craftsbury. Personally, I'd be looking in the 2.0 cuft range and I'd probably go for the PE T5.

I do realize the the two smaller models (3CB & Craftsbury) are probably the best size for my small room but my hang up is with log size.
I feel that I will constantly be fighting log length with these two models.
I won't really know if these two smaller models are the best size for me until i actually start burning but I just feel the larger stoves (Castline/Shelburne) will be more user frendly regaring wood BUT will i constatnly be fighting too much heat with these stoves?

I understand the purpose of burning the stoves hot to keep creasote down to a minimum and also know that the another key to this is dry wood.

I am going to stop all my ranting and get this post posted before I lose it and have to re-write plus I feel I have written enough to help give everyone where I stand with this.

Yup. . .

I really don't think the castine would be too much stove - that's a pretty large room. Plus going a little larger would give you the benefit of loading it up before bed and keeping your central heat from running as much overnight. I don't think you would have any problem burning smaller, clean fires while not overheating that room. We have a castine and love it - can't speak much about the other models, though. ...

If its just cast irons your considering, then hands down the Jotul. Im partial to Jotuls because I own one and love it and so do many of my family members and friends. I like hearthstone's soapstones, but I've heard mostly negatives about their other stoves. That kind of steered me away from them when I was researching my last purchase. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.