jotul warranty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ba_jie

Oct 8, 2008
Hi,
I am about to buy a brand new Jotul 450 from a guy he never opened the box after he purchased it last year.
My concern is the warranty. If i buy second hand Jotul, even the box is never openned and blank warranty registry form is still with the box, am i covered by the Jotul warranty?

Thanks.

Jie

The warranty "clock" usually starts when the dealer delivers the stove to the original purchaser. I would call your local Jotul dealer or the Jotul HQ in Maine to see if the warranty is transferable. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you for the quick reply.
I checked the Jotul website and it says its warranty is not transferrable. I will call the HQ tomorrow just double check.

Hopefully the stove is reliable enough to not go through the warranty hassle.

It now certainly sounds to be a "like new" used stove. The warranty is probably off the table.

Good luck and price it accordingly as a used stove, but not too close to an equivalent new stove. Unless a warranty is not important to you.

yeah, it sucks.
But no local dealers around the area has the stove in stock.
What should be a reasonable price deduction off its retail price? Any ideas?

At my age I have discovered that any warranty is only good until you need it. Do your homework on what you are buying, that is your best warranty :coolsmile:

jie said:
Agree.

I figured Jotul should live up to its name :)

Okay, reread your original post. Set your mind at ease and make the phone call to Jotul. If you don`t like the answer on the other end, then keep looking. Yes, it may be long distance, but for ease of mind, just do it!! Take down the name of the person you are talking with, and any other pertintent info. Oh, and ask for a fax, or letter with the warranty that sets your mind at ease. There you go, simple as that!! :)

Good luck on finding their phone number, I've looked all over their web-site and literature and couldn't fine the Jotul USA number.

Seems like you can find anything on Hearth.com. I did a quick search here and came up with (207) 797-5912.

edit

if what BB said is true it should stay. sponsor or not.

What's with the edit of Brother Bart's post about Jotul's crummy waranty/customer service?

Who made the edit and why? Was it BB or the administrator? If negative statements about a vendor's warranty or service are edited out, that's a great way to keep your sponsors happy, but not a good way to maintain confidence in this site as a place to find open, honest discussion about the hearth industry. I'm very curious to know what the deal is.

I took the post out myself. It was an inappropriate rant. The subject is better addressed by the large number of Jotul stove owners here on the Forum than by me going off on them over one incident with one stove.

Thanks for answering my question BB. That's certainly your right. I didn't find it inappropriate, in fact, I found it to be totally appropriate. It still raises my eyebrow that someone with a lot to add - 7,200 posts worth - chooses to delete the post that pokes a big sponsor in the eye! But I'm just another conspiracy theorist at heart!

Called. The lady on the other end of line wanted me check out their warranty claim on the Jotul website and asked me to direct my question to local dealer. exactly what i expected.

I bought my Jotul 550 in July 08, and the price was then, $2250. Other dealers were selling 450's for $2500. You can figure what you want to pay for a stove out of the box. However if you really want the 450 you may have a long wait for one from a stove shop. I think they are way behind on deliveries.

Thank you for the price info.
Is 2500$ for the stove and liner(15 ft') kit a reasonable offer?

That sound like the price the owner may have paid for the unit originally. It's up to you but a 15' liner might cost $700-$1,000. Check around for liner prices in your area.

jie said:
Thank you for the price info.
Is 2500$ for the stove and liner(15 ft') kit a reasonable offer?

I dont think in todays market its that bad of a price with the liner and being new.

Status
Not open for further replies.