Jred Over Eager

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Wules

Jul 30, 2015
Central RI
I have a Jred 2240. It starts easy and idles fine. The chain only moves when I push the throttle. But when there is 5 or 10 percent fuel left the chain starts to move on its own. I'll cut a tree and the chain will stop like normal then start up on its own. Just before it runs out of fuel the chain will run quickly on its own. Is this normal?

Normal. When the fuel level drops to the point that the filter isn't fully submerged, the carb will start sucking in air along with the gas. Soon the engine starts to starve for fuel while still getting plenty of air, the mixture leans out and increased idle speed is a normal consequence of that. Since when this is happening your horsepower will drop off and the saw will soon stall out completely, it is unlikely to do meaningful damage the way a sustained lean condition will. Nevertheless, if you notice it happening, that's a good time to stop and fill the tank. Expecting it to run properly until the tank is completely empty is not realistic.

Last edited:
Thanks for your detailed answer Jon. Now I am confused. I thought with all gas tools you are supposed to use them till they run out of gas. It sounds like Jon is saying a chainsaw should never be allowed to run out of gas.

I use my Jred maybe once or twice a week in season and a lot less in the winter. I use premixed non ethanol fuel. Should I refill when the gas level is low and when I put it away for the day leave it say one quarter full?

It's good practice to stop at the first hint of running out of fuel and go refill the saw or power tool. Like Jon mentioned you are leaning out the mixture some with the increased air as you starve the saw for a meaningful amount of gas. However it's still getting air but it needs both air and gas to run. The lean condition is not really going to do harm as it's just once in awhile. But if you notice the saw starting to sputter and lose power , stop and refill.

As for allowing it to run completely dry on it's own that's more useful when you plan on storing it for some length of time.

If your using non ethanol fuel with good oil that contains fuel stabilizers in it, you are probably good for a long time just letting the gas sit in the tank. I may catch some grief over that statement but...... My weed whip, and my Backpack blower sit all winter. 6 plus months . I've never drained the fuel and they still work fine. But like you I also use non ethanol fuel high test and a good oil that contains stabilizers.

If you have to use ethanol fuel I wouldn't let that stuff sit for long. A few days or a week and I'd want it gone

Status
Not open for further replies.