1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Juicy Fruit gum VS. gophers

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Beetle-Kill, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    I had heard they will eat it and not be able to digest it, leading to exteme blockage and death. Supposed to work on mice quite well also. I used it about a month ago, in conjuction with some "poison peanuts", and the gopher apparantly is terminated.
    Has the gum on it's own worked for anyone?
    Thanks, JB

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I've heard the same but Bazooka was the preferred brand. Haven't seen any gophers blowing bubbles yet either.

I personally prefer the remedies marketed by Remington, Winchester, and Federal among others. ;)
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    If I threw gum out, my dang dog would be walking around fart'in bubbles.
  4. Beetle-Kill

Loc:
    It's been 3 days and no sign of activity. I'll wait a few more, then see if the gum is gone. I've got this lil' bastidges number.
    I was lucky enough to smoke a few with the 12g. earlier. If you're gonna do it, do it right.
    After 2 warnings from the Sheriffs Dept., I'm trying the gum. (not supposed to shoot during a fire ban- Pffft!)
  5. Beetle-Kill

Loc:
    Update:- The gum is gone, as are most of the "poison peanuts". There has been no activity in that area. This may turn out to be a potent combo.
    Edit- there's a little more to it than I've posted, but the combo seems to work.
    ScotO likes this.
  6. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    We did try the gum alone, some years ago.
    I do not think it worked.
    I realized that if I am going around poking holes in gopher tunnels/mounds and sticking in pieces of gum, I could just as well use a poison pellet. So, I did.
    It has not been overwhelmingly impressive either, but better than the Juicy Fruit.

ETA...the latest poison I've used looks like kids gummy bear worms. Not cheap either.
  7. Dtunes

Dtunes New Member

Loc:
    Outside of Boston MA
    I can't speak to Juicy Fruit, but a friend of mine lost a dog who ate a fairly small amount of sugarless gum. I believe it was the xylitol or some other wood sugar that did it. Not sure if it's toxic to rodents but it was unfortunately fatal to the dog(in spite of a Vet's treatment). You could try experimenting with brands, a pack of gum is a pretty cheap investment.