Juicy Fruit gum VS. gophers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I had heard they will eat it and not be able to digest it, leading to exteme blockage and death. Supposed to work on mice quite well also. I used it about a month ago, in conjuction with some "poison peanuts", and the gopher apparantly is terminated.
Has the gum on it's own worked for anyone?
Thanks, JB

If I threw gum out, my dang dog would be walking around fart'in bubbles.

It's been 3 days and no sign of activity. I'll wait a few more, then see if the gum is gone. I've got this lil' bastidges number.
I was lucky enough to smoke a few with the 12g. earlier. If you're gonna do it, do it right.
After 2 warnings from the Sheriffs Dept., I'm trying the gum. (not supposed to shoot during a fire ban- Pffft!)

Update:- The gum is gone, as are most of the "poison peanuts". There has been no activity in that area. This may turn out to be a potent combo.
Edit- there's a little more to it than I've posted, but the combo seems to work.

Reactions: ScotO
We did try the gum alone, some years ago.
I do not think it worked.
I realized that if I am going around poking holes in gopher tunnels/mounds and sticking in pieces of gum, I could just as well use a poison pellet. So, I did.
It has not been overwhelmingly impressive either, but better than the Juicy Fruit.

ETA...the latest poison I've used looks like kids gummy bear worms. Not cheap either.

I can't speak to Juicy Fruit, but a friend of mine lost a dog who ate a fairly small amount of sugarless gum. I believe it was the xylitol or some other wood sugar that did it. Not sure if it's toxic to rodents but it was unfortunately fatal to the dog(in spite of a Vet's treatment). You could try experimenting with brands, a pack of gum is a pretty cheap investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.