Jumping on the bandwagon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
I figured I'd try a quick kiln to test it for myself. I took a box skid, knocked the lower boards out for air flow, filled it with fresh Pine and Maple splits and shrink wrapped it so the evaporated water can run off. I'll let it sit until the middle of October or so, resplit and test. If it is even close to 20% I plan to design a larger and more permanent kiln for later use.

Attachments

• quick kiln.jpg
    quick kiln.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 293
I've heard a lot of good things about the shinkwrap kilns, never tried it myself. I'm told the key is good airflow, maybe a small vent at the top just to let rising "steam" out, otherwise I would worry about the condensation raining back down on my wood, but it looks like you got that all handled. I live in southern Idaho (or New Death Valley, depending on who ya talk to), so I just stack on a southwest facing hill and let the 112 degree heat do the job. Then, in winter, when the Almighty decides to turn us into the Alaskan North Slope, it keeps the 10 below temps at bay. Do you guys get lake effect snow there?

Looks like the larger and more permanent model will be in my future. I resplit a bunch of the stuff in the makeshift little kiln and there is nothing over 18%. I'm a believer.

Reactions: bertrn and ole
Do you guys get lake effect snow there?
Sorry... just saw this. No lake-effect for us here in SE PA. Our big snow events are nor'easters.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Is this a science project, or are you having trouble getting enough wood dry in time to burn (for whatever reason)?

How big of a unit are you going to make? What are you using to keep the top vent open? I'm glad to hear that it's working out for you. Keep us updated on the project.

Did you compare it against another split from the same log not in the kiln? What was that at?

Is this a science project, or are you having trouble getting enough wood dry in time to burn (for whatever reason)?
More science. At the time of the original post there was a lot of chatter on the subject so I figured I'd try it. I'm in pretty good shape for wood considering I'm heading into my 3rd season but you can never have too much. The wood from this kiln is there if I need it.
How big of a unit are you going to make? What are you using to keep the top vent open?
All TBD. It will be behind an industrial building and not at home so I don't have aesthetics to worry about. Proving the concept was pretty cool, though.
Did you compare it against another split from the same log not in the kiln? What was that at?
No, but I'll try to remember my MM tomorrow and will check a piece. I'm interested, too.

I split one of the Maple rounds (non kiln) and got 24%. I resplit a piece of Maple from the kiln and got 15%.

Reactions: HybridFyre
That's awesome. I need to do this next year

Status
Not open for further replies.