1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Junk wood ID please

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by WellSeasoned, Dec 10, 2012.

1. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I cut this junk last year. I thought it was honey locust due to the color and deep gnarley bark pattern. I think now however that it is poplar. The bark is deep and somewhat twisted in design. The inner bark is orangish. The wood is light and seasons quick. The moisture reading is 16%, but burns terribly.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rugerman1

rugerman1 Member

Loc:
    Western Pa
    Looks like sassafras to me.About the same BTU's as pine from what I've experienced.Beaver County has tons of it around.
    WellSeasoned and Brewmonster like this.
  3. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I think your absolutely right. Its an ok wood for shoulder, and shoots alot of sparks. I have been mixing it with maple, but it doesnt burn so nice. Not much btu. Thx
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Could very well be sassafras. Certainly not popple.
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  5. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Does it smell like mentho-lyptus cough drops on a fresh cut?
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  6. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I don't remember the smell as I cut this stuff november '11. I researched sassafras more here and googled it, and it definitely is. I cut 2 cords of this stuff to burn this year not knowing any better. Now I must remove it from my wood shed as I am just getting into it, and it just won't cut it for the cold thats coming still. Ill save it for spring shoulder
  7. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    You could also split it small and use it as sacrificial wood to get the stove up to temp and build a coal bed for the main load. Probably don't need two cords for that, so I guess you gotta move it. Moving wood builds character; It teaches you to control your emotions and tough it out through sorrow and disappointment. ==c
    Gark, albert1029, Boog and 1 other person like this.
  8. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Well said woody!
  9. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Love it Woody!