Just a few more days until my Summit install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTRock

Burning Hunk
Aug 3, 2014
CT
Super excited, getting my masonry chimney swept in preparation for my Summit Insert being installed 8/18.

Just calling around on a few referrals to a reputable woodman.

I also have a shed made out of wood in the back of my house,when I moved in end of May I made up my mind to tear it down do to outside walls all rotted out. I have a good friend who is a contractor who told me that the guts are solid and it's well constructed, so I think if I pull the walls down and leave the studs and put wall slats, reinforce the floor I think I'll have a pretty decent starter wood shed. It should hold 3+ cords. I have a 2100 sq ft colonial primarily using wood to the extent I'm allowed to say that legally.

This is my 1st year burning wood so I'm not sure how much I'll need but will order 4 cord just in case.

Welcome
As you probably aware that most of us here don't trust the dealer about their seasoned wood. Very seldom you can get a true seasoned wood. It takes at least two full years to seasoned most of the hardwood, some even more. And seasoning starts when wood is split and stacked not when the they took the tree down. Very few wood dealers have the room to keep all their wood for proper seasoning. I am telling you this to save you from a big disappointment. If your wood is not going to fully seasoned 20% or less moisture content in the middle of a split you will be fighting that wood instead enjoying a nice heat. Where in ct are you? I live in bristol there is few placeless around here worth a try to buy wood from. Plus you can always get compressed wood bricks.

Thanks for the welcome and input.

I'm in the vicinity of Bristol and would welcome any suggestions. Was thinking Biobricks but read that over firing is a big concern? What's your experience with them?

I tried few of them: bio bricks, hot bricks, Eco bricks. I liked the Eco the most. They are great alternative to to cord wood. If I had no wood and I had to buy it I wouldn't burn it this year. Maybe next and that's a maybe. For this year if I was starting from scratch I would go with a Eco bricks. I burned almost a ton of them towards the end of last season. I loved them. I was putting 8-10 of them at a time. I could fit more but it was enough to heat my house for 8 hours. Since it was a shoulder season I wasn't burning 24/7 it was enough. I bought them at BT Enterprises best thing to do is buy few bundles of each and try them yourself. If you will end up buying wood invest some money in a moisture meter $20-30 at Home Depot or lowes. Split a piece of wood and take a measure in the middle if it's 20% or less your good if not don't burn it.

As far as buying wood I drive by a guy on stafford ave looks lime he has a lot wood and big property, I would try there. ALS if you drive route 72 west towards Plymouth there is a big lot almost across from mikes auto parts. They have a lot of wood there too. But measure it before you buy.

Someone suggested the Stafford guy and also got a referral for a fellow named DJ Hollister I believe in Granby. Maybe buy a couple tons of the compressed and couple cords of wood

Also I notice tree cutters advertise wood too. Again don't want to get hosed because of my inexperience, so really wanna make a good choice with who I end up buying from

That's why you have to check the wood with moisture meter. Everybody say it's seasoned wood. Scary part is some of them believe that they are selling seasoned wood, when the truths is they cut it and split it two three months ago. I never bought wood, I get it free and split it myself, but it's hard to get ahead when you just starting. If you find someone who sells truly seasoned wood buy enough for this and next year. Then you can start scrounging for the following year. Also there is a place on old school rd in Cheshire that sells block fire wood $40 for 2 cubic yards.

I would recommend to also buy the wood for next year's winter already. Then it can be green because it still has more than 1 year to dry. For the future, get in the spring the wood for the winter 18 months later. That way pretty much everything should be close or below 20 % moisture when you actually burn it.

I tried few of them: bio bricks, hot bricks, Eco bricks. I liked the Eco the most. They are great alternative to to cord wood. If I had no wood and I had to buy it I wouldn't burn it this year. Maybe next and that's a maybe. For this year if I was starting from scratch I would go with a Eco bricks. I burned almost a ton of them towards the end of last season. I loved them. I was putting 8-10 of them at a time. I could fit more but it was enough to heat my house for 8 hours. Since it was a shoulder season I wasn't burning 24/7 it was enough. I bought them at BT Enterprises best thing to do is buy few bundles of each and try them yourself. If you will end up buying wood invest some money in a moisture meter $20-30 at Home Depot or lowes. Split a piece of wood and take a measure in the middle if it's 20% or less your good if not don't burn it.

Based on what your telling me and I'm reading the bricks may very well be the surefire way this year.Especially if the wife has to maintain the fire too. I'm familiar with BT, I'll check it out

I would recommend to also buy the wood for next year's winter already. Then it can be green because it still has more than 1 year to dry. For the future, get in the spring the wood for the winter 18 months later. That way pretty much everything should be close or below 20 % moisture when you actually burn it.

Thanks you guys are a tremendous help. I was told burning wood was more than throwing any old logs in, but it's an art form.

You guys and this forum make it easier to understand

not really an art. Just need good dry wood. Buy at least 3-4 cords for next year now...... Then look for soft woods for this year and suppliment them with compressed logs. Look for silver maple, cherry, ash(hard but dries fast), that sorta thing.

Soft woods are a prohibited thing in ct. Just joking, but you probably won't be able to buy soft wood around here because no one sells it. Yes the sure thing would be bricks. Buy wood for next year and if you planing on getting your own wood start getting wood for the following year.

Jtrock, I don't know this wood seller, but he is guaranteeing seasoned wood. It carries a premium price, but if true it would be worth it for this season. If you have the room I would also get a few cords of unseasoned, split wood and store it stacked and top covered off the ground for the following season. Google connecticut firewood for several more leads.
http://bartstreeservice.com/buy-firewood-connecticut/

Jtrock, I don't know this wood seller, but he is guaranteeing seasoned wood. It carries a premium price, but if true it would be worth it for this season. If you have the room I would also get a few cords of unseasoned, split wood and store it stacked and top covered off the ground for the following season. Google connecticut firewood for several more leads.

Thanks, I read about Barts a few weeks back. He is in Danbury so between the $230 and being 30-40 miles out they may not deliver or may pay through the nose. Bought a few packages of Envi Bricks to try for the test burn. Guy at the Warehouse swears by that brand. I'll do my research on this site tonight to get an idea

This dude knows his stuff!

+1
Yes, Matt is a really good guy. He's taken care of me in the past with rounds and stump grinding.
He is a quality guy to work with.

That's cool to get a personal endorsement

Status
Not open for further replies.