Just a little oak...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagtec1

Burning Hunk
Dec 22, 2010
PA
My buddy and I are working on some oak from a few trees dropped on our street. Should be some decent BTU's in 18-24 months! 5812952974f93a98df1433f7a9c0a625.jpg

Very nice. Got two cords of white couple weeks ago. I don't have access to a lot of oak so I save it for the brutal stretches. Great score.

Just a little? NICCCEEEE

Just a little? NICCCEEEE

Yup...and what you can't see are the four or five 40+ inch diameter 8-10' logs behind me! ;)

Got it all bucked yesterday with the help of my buddies nice Husky saw. Split a bit by hand last evening to get started.

Split a bit by hand last evening to get started.
Not sure what your logistics and time allotment are, but for that amount a rental splitter might be a good option to get it processed up in short order.

Holy crap by hand!!
No kidding! Neighbor and I have a deal. He supplies the splitter and I find us permission for dead standing in farm lines and lots. We share the work and the wood.

Wow! I can smell the aroma from here!

We have a splitter, lol! I like using my fiskers for the smaller diameter rounds...it's actually faster, and is a good workout. We estimate 8-10 cords.

We have a splitter, lol! I like using my fiskers for the smaller diameter rounds...it's actually faster, and is a good workout. We estimate 8-10 cords.

A good workout indeed. I think it's quite enjoyable and faster when it's splitting up nice by hand, but it sure is nice to have the hydraulics for those nasty pieces. I do the same thing. Split most of it by hand and try to only use the splitter for the tough stuff.

Looks like a good score!

Status
Not open for further replies.