Just a small load of Elm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

higginscl

Mar 7, 2013
Nora Springs, IA
2013-06-28 17.47.34.jpg2013-06-28 17.51.15.jpg 2013-06-28 17.44.20.jpg My AWSOME tree service dropped this off yesterday. I'm not sure how I'll get the two big ones processed but good lord that's a lotta wood. !!! I think theres some boxelder and pine in the stack to the right maybe some others as well. They made 3 trips one of which is the stack im standing on. The t-post and I are both 6 ft for size comparison.

Hey, that is one sweet haul! As for getting them processed, don't think you have to have a saw with a bar that will go all the way through the log because you don't. As for splitting, if you don't have hydraulics, a sledge and 2 or 3 steel wedges can work wonders. Just slower than hydraulics.

Reactions: higginscl
I knew from the title it was going to be a big pile but that dandy load of wood!:)

Reactions: ScotO
Hey, that is one sweet haul! As for getting them processed, don't think you have to have a saw with a bar that will go all the way through the log because you don't. As for splitting, if you don't have hydraulics, a sledge and 2 or 3 steel wedges can work wonders. Just slower than hydraulics.
luckily I have a splitter im just worried about the way the big one is sitting on the pile. Maybe I can hook it up to the truck and roll it off the top and get another chain for when I accidently run this one into the dirt :(. All I know is I need to get busy.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I knew from the title it was going to be a big pile but that dandy load of wood!:)

I talked to the driver the on the first load and he said he had two more loads, one being the base and main trunk and that it was pretty big. He wanted to know if I wanted something that big. I said sure bring whatever you want, and this is what he came with. I try to make it easy for them to drop off and it obviously is working cause my FIL asked them for wood and he isn't getting as much as I am. They are going to be taking the dead Elm in our front yard down next month mainly due to the fact its right next to my house and there is a power line right next to it as well.

Is it Slippery (Red) Elm? If so, you'll like the way it burns. It's between Cherry and Ash....a bit better than American Elm. Very pretty heart wood when dried, too. Most of the Red I get here is dead standing wood with the bark gone but I still stack the trunk for a year. Two years on that fresh stuff, I would think.

Is it Slippery (Red) Elm? If so, you'll like the way it burns. It's between Cherry and Ash....a bit better than American Elm. Very pretty heart wood when dried, too. Most of the Red I get here is dead standing wood with the bark gone but I still stack the trunk for a year. Two years on that fresh stuff, I would think.

I think its red elm at least that's what the guy told me. Im still not very good at identifying species yet but ill split some here in a couple of days and post a pic.

Very nice, Higgins! That's some PRIMO firewood! I picked up a "small" load of silver maple this morning.......

Some is punky, but I'll be using it all for firepit wood...

2013-06-29_18-45-44_360.jpg

I think its red elm at least that's what the guy told me....ill split some here in a couple of days and post a pic.
Cool. Tree guys are usually right. :) I think American (White) is light-colored in the heartwood, although I've not seen much of it, just the dead Red. I burned a little under half a cord last year. I'm grabbing more whenever I have the chance. There's also a pretty big one I need to take down, maybe16" or so, one of the biggest I've found so far. Of course I'll get some pics. ==c

Bear in mind, Scotty is pretty liberal with the "primo" label. :p But you'll like it, guaranteed. :cool:

That looks like a real nice addition to your wood cache. Can your 18" saw get half way through those big logs?

Some is punky, but I'll be using it all for firepit wood...

We never can have enough wood ya know. If it ain't heating wood it's pit wood! We are all addicts here............

BTW, my first ever free score was Elm, American Elm to be exact, and I'd still do it again, no wood snob here!

TS

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Nice score. Red elm is much easier to handle than Elm. You can actually split it by hand.

Bear in mind, Scotty is pretty liberal with the "primo" label. :p But you'll like it, guaranteed. :cool:
Hey the elm, sugar maple, white oak, red oak black locust, honey locust, ash, hickory, applewood, ironwood, hedge, cherry, pin oak, walnut, silver and red maple........they're ALL primo woods in my book (just depends on time of year/time of day):p BTW, that's one of the ONLY things I'm liberal with!::-)

Hey the elm, sugar maple, white oak, red oak black locust, honey locust, ash, hickory, applewood, ironwood, hedge, cherry, pin oak, walnut, silver and red maple........they're ALL primo woods in my book (just depends on time of year/time of day
That's exactly what I'm saying about your primo list....it's all-inclusive. ;) But you left out a couple that are on my primo list (White Oak BTU or higher,) Mulberry, Dogwood and Persimmon. Oh yeah I forgot, you're a tree guy and don't spend much time messing with the small wood. ;) Seriously though, I'm no wood snob and we think along similar lines...just about all wood is good wood. Only ones on your list I haven't tried yet; Walnut, Honey, Apple and Ironwood (got Walnut and Honey in the pipeline.) We are fortunate indeed to be living in two of the top hardwood-producing states in the union...nice, ain't it? :)

Anyway, back to the Red Elm.... ==c

I slipped on the high-top rubber boots to keep off the water and the ticks, and walked out to get a pic of the big Red (not Bigg_Redd, he doan' like pics.);lol I promptly slipped on a wet branch and went up to the elbows in poison ivy. I didn't make it back to the house in time to stay within the five-minute rule for washing the oil off before it can bond with the skin. I've already got some ivy on my arms so I guess a little more won't kill me. ;lol
This thing is bigger than I thought, about 20" dbh. :cool:

001_zps59a64e50.jpg

005_zps9451a1ff.jpg

002_zpsfb43df4b.jpg

003_zpsd347c991.jpg

Hey the elm, sugar maple, white oak, red oak black locust, honey locust, ash, hickory, applewood, ironwood, hedge, cherry, pin oak, walnut, silver and red maple........they're ALL primo woods in my book (just depends on time of year/time of day):p BTW, that's one of the ONLY things I'm liberal with!::-)
Yep. You don't want to be conservative with the cord wood.;) Don't forget mulberry.

Got a small picture of the small stack CSS'd yet ? :)

luckily I have a splitter im just worried about the way the big one is sitting on the pile. Maybe I can hook it up to the truck and roll it off the top and get another chain for when I accidently run this one into the dirt :(. All I know is I need to get busy.

You can work wonders with a little ole canthook.

Canthook.jpg

Got a small picture of the small stack CSS'd yet ? :)

Not yet i had to put an injector pump in my stepdads truck when i woke up this afternoon. maybe tomorrow morning when i get off work i can split some up. It finaly quit raining for a few days and the pond in my basement is receding so back to the wood i will go

Status
Not open for further replies.