Just a thought..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You all can bet your a$$es I am going to be in the market for another one or two this spring. I know I do not want to take another new Harman price beat down. Slightly used and half price or less sounds like a plan.

Making your own pellets sounds interesting but I expect it would be very labor intensive and getting raw materials would be problematic as well. I was just wondering if anyone had bought and used one of those systems. Personally I don't need another hobby, lol, especially one that requires WORK!!!

While I can find all the pellets I could ever want, I cannot find a used Harman stove within a day's drive. I see them all the time on Craigslist back East, but no one wants to bolt a stove to a pallet and ship it to me.

Making your own pellets sounds interesting but I expect it would be very labor intensive and getting raw materials would be problematic as well. I was just wondering if anyone had bought and used one of those systems. Personally I don't need another hobby, lol, especially one that requires WORK!!!

Very labor intensive and expensive to get going.

Yes, it looked like the minimum would be around $3K and who knows what other peripheral items/materials you would need to get up and running. Plus with this type of machinery maintenance and repair would be critical and probably expensive.

True, but if you could develop a feasible system and you are spending $1,000 a year on pellets?.......................3 year payback minus your time of course. Still sounds like a bunch of work and headaches. I can cut wood if I need free fuel.

I'll go back to oil heat long before I start making my own pellets.

Reactions: bags
Status
Not open for further replies.