Just about finished w/'12-'13 wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
So, I've been trying to get this done so it has a full 2 summers to dry. I need just about 1/3 cord to do that.
Some of this may be for '13-14, but that depends on how bad the next couple winters are. Still have a couple cords or more to do from the log pile. That's for later this fall.

Attachments

• IMG_5020resize.jpg
    IMG_5020resize.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_5019resize.jpg
    IMG_5019resize.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_5018resize.jpg
    IMG_5018resize.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 467
Thats a lot of wood, how many cords total? I wish I had room like you to spread my stacks out, they dry quicker that way.

+1 nice, + nice looking stacks, and how long are they?

weatherguy, I've posted pics of these before, but not this year. :cheese:
Each of those rows is 96', in 6x16' sections, 5' high. Total is only 10 cord. The stacks on the right are for this coming winter.
I may drop down to 4-4.5 ft. high when I do '13-14 wood, since these like to tilt to the left, which is south. Suns hits 'em and they shrink and settle on that side first.
Feels good to get this done this early. Power co. will have a crew come through this summer to take down a few trees in the ROW, so now I'll have time to deal with those.

Funny when you spread it out it looks like more. I have seven at my place and it doesn't look like any where near that much...

Very nice thanks for pictures :zip:

Very nice looking stacks! I have a trailer just like that which I use for most of my wood processing I love it. How do you like yours?

Bought that trailer about 4 years ago. It has seen more than it's fair share of duty as a wood hauler, materials hauler when building the pole barn, trash hauler to the dump, etc....
It also held a full load of snow this winter. :coolsmile:
RNLA, why do you think I stack it that way? :cheese:

Looks great - nice stacks to look at when sitting outside! Enjoy! Cheers!

Looks great PD. When you stack like that, do you just run the lawn mower as close as you can or do you end up breaking out the string trimmer?

PapaDave, it won't be long before you'll be getting another big load. This last one has served you well.

SolarAndWood said:
Looks great PD. When you stack like that, do you just run the lawn mower as close as you can or do you end up breaking out the string trimmer?
I've only run the trimmer a couple times back where these are. Mostly just the mower. I keep the area in front and back of the stacks cut all summer.

Dennis, no more of these for a couple years, I hope. I'm going to try getting any more that I need from my sis-in-laws place, and here on the old homestead, plus there's logging going on nearby. I may try to get the leftovers from there. LOTS of tops and crap that they left laying. Not sure who to talk to about that though. Lots of logs piled up, but nobody around.
I'm playing this out as I go.

Dave, check to see if it is on State land. If so you should be able to get a permit to take anything that is downed. Is there still a DNR office in Atlanta? If so, it would make getting a permit quick and easy.

PAPA DAVE, I wish I could get away with a ring of firewood around my lot. We live in city and I don't think my neighbors would understand our "firewood problem". I think ten cords is a wonderful amount and I could get there with a bit of organization. We are currently building a garage and the whole back yard is torn up.

RNLA, I put up the pole barn 4 years ago, and the yard was a mess for a while here too.

Dennis, the DNR office is less than a mile north of me, and may still be open. I actually thought that might be my first option. The logging is happening south on 489 going towards Lewiston.

Dave, I'm pretty sure that 98% of that land along 489 is indeed state land. I'd get to the dnr fast and then get some wood fast before others learn of it.

PapaDave said:
Bought that trailer about 4 years ago. It has seen more than it's fair share of duty as a wood hauler, materials hauler when building the pole barn, trash hauler to the dump, etc....
It also held a full load of snow this winter. :coolsmile:
RNLA, why do you think I stack it that way? :cheese:
Yeah I love my trailer to and even when I have a truck around it is still so much more convenient to load and unload the trailer vs the truck as you can roll a dolly right up on it. I need to treat the floor on mine this spring when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.