just an idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatisup02

Feb 3, 2012
MI
Has anyone ever rented a u-haul to haul a lot of wood at once?

I would be cautious if your using a uhaul vehicle they tell you not to haul wood in them in my area anyways. We have done that before but we super cleaned the truck in and out afterwords ( better than we got it ). If they find out they will fine you and put you on a no rent list according to what I was told.

Pete

I rented a Ryder moving truck once to move 3 cord. We stacked it in right to the roof up over the cab. The sides were bulging out from the pressure. Mind you it was very well seasoned wood so not too heavy but still the back bumper was nearly dragging on the ground. The guy that gave us the wood was worried about the tires blowing out, so we took some of it back out and loaded it in the back of his pickup.

Do you have a truck? Rent a dual axle trailer and pullit. easier in, easier out and no worry of them fining you for finding a little piece of bark. Just an idea

BobUrban said:
Rent a dual axle trailer and pullit.

+1. Those tandem axle trailers with hydraulic brakes they rent are a lot cheaper than a truck and have much lower decks. They tow pretty nice too.

BobUrban said:
Do you have a truck? Rent a dual axle trailer and pullit. easier in, easier out and no worry of them fining you for finding a little piece of bark. Just an idea

No truck that's why I had the idea. Just have a mini van and trailer but only can haul a face cord or so.

What kinda of distance do you have to travel? Have you went to UHual website and looked at the fine print?

The trucks weight limit won't do what I want it to do.

whatisup02 said:

I'd suggest you equate "a lot of wood" to the truck or trailer's capacity.

1 cord = +/- 2000 lbs.

According to Uhaul.com, their double-axle 6x12 utility trailer has a 2670 lb. capacity with a 4400 GVWR, so anything more than maybe 1.25 cord is over capacity, even if it "fits".

My landscape trailer will hold 2 cord if I stack it right but it's a damn menace to drive it like that.

whatisup02 said:
The trucks weight limit won't do what I want it to do.
If you have other rental options such as Ryder, you could rent a larger straight truck with 16,000 lb capacity. With an average weight of 5,000 lb for a cord of green wood, that is 3 cord per trip.

bluedogz said:
whatisup02 said:

I'd suggest you equate "a lot of wood" to the truck or trailer's capacity.

1 cord = +/- 2000 lbs.

According to Uhaul.com, their double-axle 6x12 utility trailer has a 2670 lb. capacity with a 4400 GVWR, so anything more than maybe 1.25 cord is over capacity, even if it "fits".

My landscape trailer will hold 2 cord if I stack it right but it's a damn menace to drive it like that.

Most green hardwoods will weigh a lot more than 2,000lbs per cord. Most likely closer to 4,000 and above.

stee6043 said:
Most green hardwoods will weigh a lot more than 2,000lbs per cord. Most likely closer to 4,000 and above.

Mea culpa. But that only makes the point more. Don't put yourself at risk with a lazy man's load.

I helped my brother rent a Uhaul pickup + open trailer to haul wood about 8 years ago. No issues.

I wouldn't do it with a moving van.

whatisup02 said:

A cord of green wood will weigh well in excess of the maximum load weight for many of their utility trailers. They may have heavy duty trailers or trucks that can carry that much weight, but the smaller trailers can't do it safely. Check with them before trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.