Just an observation or two....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
It might be a good idea to hook up the t-stat I've owned for the last 6 years... might help reduce pellet usage during the warm fall we have had...

After suffering from a dirty stove twice during this heating season, I'm starting to believe that using the best, lowest ash pellet available is the best course to ensure good performance from your stove regardless of the season. The SIH hardwoods I have used on occasion this year and last are pretty ashy compared to the Doug Fir's I also have in stock. Running the stove on low much of the time hasn't helped at all...

When buying a used stove disregard the PO's claims about keeping the stove squeaky clean... most owners NOT on this board have no clue to what a clean stove is.

And, finally, try to keep foreign objects out of the hopper... I have been missing the little tool St Croix provides with the Greenfield I own (it operates the ash/clinker drop chute and the tube scraper). And IF you are missing anything look in the hopper... found mine after two "failures to keep feeding pellets"... after 15 minutes of prying I finally got it out.

krooser said:
It might be a good idea to hook up the t-stat I've owned for the last 6 years... might help reduce pellet usage during the warm fall we have had...

After suffering from a dirty stove twice during this heating season, I'm starting to believe that using the best, lowest ash pellet available is the best course to ensure good performance from your stove regardless of the season. The SIH hardwoods I have used on occasion this year and last are pretty ashy compared to the Doug Fir's I also have in stock. Running the stove on low much of the time hasn't helped at all...

When buying a used stove disregard the PO's claims about keeping the stove squeaky clean... most owners NOT on this board have no clue to what a clean stove is.

And, finally, try to keep foreign objects out of the hopper... I have been missing the little tool St Croix provides with the Greenfield I own (it operates the ash/clinker drop chute and the tube scraper). And IF you are missing anything look in the hopper... found mine after two "failures to keep feeding pellets"... after 15 minutes of prying I finally got it out.

Merry Christmas O provider of the knowledge of the leaf blower.

BTW to anyone looking in krooser knows the difference between a clean stove and a dirty stove.

Mine has been on my stove since day one! First with a manual stat and then changed to a programmable a few weeks later! Where I feel I save the fuel is setting it back when away or sleeping. Yeep, You'll save on fuel by keeping the temps in check on the warm days. The stat will control the stove much better than I at temp variations. Hated the warm house with the wood eater and wasn't gonna even bother with the pellet eater.

I was just out in the shop to refill the hopper and it's a nice 63F in there... but we are having some warm temps here, too. Tonite it's 24F so that's a little above average.

24F? It was 37F here whe the Packer game started. Currently 34F.

Kinda like summer.

Using a stat is where were its at.

Currently 35* right now. Supposed to go down to 26* tonight. Stat set to 70* on the Fahrenheit. Quad is set to 68* just in case something happens to the furnace. Both on a 2* swing.

Bought my buddy a Programmable stat and a leafblower for Christmas (forum member barnyard840x)
He really needed a stat. As his stove (Baby Countryside heating 1,000 sq ft)will blow you out of his place if not careful.

Only way to go. IMO.

Always thankful for the leafblower trick also. Many of our stoves thank you.

DexterDay said:
Using a stat is where were its at.

Currently 35* right now. Supposed to go down to 26* tonight. Stat set to 70* on the Fahrenheit. Quad is set to 68* just in case something happens to the furnace. Both on a 2* swing.

Bought my buddy a Programmable stat and a leafblower for Christmas (forum member barnyard840x)
He really needed a stat. As his stove (Baby Countryside heating 1,000 sq ft)will blow you out of his place if not careful.

Only way to go. IMO.

Always thankful for the leafblower trick also. Many of our stoves thank you.

You are welcome...

smoke show said:
24F? It was 37F here whe the Packer game started. Currently 34F.

Kinda like summer.

must be colder here on the plains....

if your stove is running dirtier it might be those SIH pellets. they practically ruined my sisters stove. she had been running her Somersets in her Cumberland on a low/med setting with no issues. she dumped in a bag of SIH and had 3/16" of creasote in the morning. took me 40 mins to clean the glass alone. needless to say shes back to Somersets with no further issues.

i tried to burn a bag in my accentra and sure enough it started blackening up the firebox area. i dug them out of the hopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.