Just Asking....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeezix_McGoo

Nov 25, 2011
NW Connecticut
I just installed a new Harman Oakwood last weekend. I had some learning to do and still more learning to go. But I will say that with a lot of help from members here, I finally "get it". I absolutely love this stove and I can get well over 14 hour steady burns with the Envi Blocks. But, n ow I am wondering about something else:
Let me preface this by saying tat I do not have any intention of doing this until I fully research the idea and know that its ok. Honestly, my first impression is don't do it but I've got to ask. Is there a down side or even a safety hazzard if I were to burn the big size lump coal or stove coal in my Oakwood. I know that Harman will definately say not to burn anything but wood, but has anyone here ever tried this? Just curious to hear from you guys and gals.

As I have examined what's out there, both now and from the past, it is obvious that some folks (perhaps many, I'm not sure) at some point in history, heated their homes with coal.

On a trip, not all that long ago, to a stove restoration/rescue business, where we ended up buying a circa 1930's "Boston Foundry, Perfection B" wood burning Kitchen stove, I noticed he had a lot of stoves from the past in his facility, some of which were identified as "coal stoves." In fact, the wife brought home from a Consignment Store some years ago, a small cast iron "coal stove" that we have never used. It has a damper on the bottom inside, a viewing window (quite small) and itself is a fairly small unit.

So logically, I'd surmise that coal was used, and perhaps still can be used, given the right stove, (which is what you are asking about really), to heat your home. Don't know the availability of coal these days, especially in bulk. It used to be, (as I've been told) that coal was brought to your home by some sort of coal delivery person (business) and was shoveled into a hatch on the side of your house, (I often wonder if those basement hatchways that some folks have was an offspring of the coal chute), and the homeowner would take whatever quantity he needed from the delivered coal, and lug it to the stove for burning.

Cost of the coal is another thing to look into, but let me stay on topic better.........your manufacturer of the stove might be a good place to start. Even though you have a "wood burning" stove, perhaps you could get away with it, and I confess I don't know. Logically however, the methods for burning coal might be somewhat different with regard to start up, clean burn, and so forth. Creosote build up might be different but I don't know.

Outside in my fire pit, suppose I wanted to have a fire with coal. I suppose I could dump some in and light it, but............like my charcoal grill, it ain't gonna be "pretty to look at" and it would be a lot more messy I'd think............(just thinking out loud, really).

Random thoughts to hopefully help you think thru this..........not trying to convey any expertise on the subject.

-Soupy1957

Skeezix_McGoo said:
I just installed a new Harman Oakwood last weekend. I had some learning to do and still more learning to go. But I will say that with a lot of help from members here, I finally "get it". I absolutely love this stove and I can get well over 14 hour steady burns with the Envi Blocks. But, n ow I am wondering about something else:
Let me preface this by saying tat I do not have any intention of doing this until I fully research the idea and know that its ok. Honestly, my first impression is don't do it but I've got to ask. Is there a down side or even a safety hazzard if I were to burn the big size lump coal or stove coal in my Oakwood. I know that Harman will definately say not to burn anything but wood, but has anyone here ever tried this? Just curious to hear from you guys and gals.

I would advise against it for 2 reasons:

1) Coal needs underfire air and this stove is designed for wood snd shaker grates to run best.
2) Coal burns very hot and will probably damage your stove

I have heard people burn wood in a coal stove but not the other way around..

You will probably void your warranty..

Ray

You need underfire air exclusively to burn anthracite.
You need both underfire and overfire air to burn bituminous. Either works, but both together are far better.
You need shaker grates to take the ash out from under your fire while leaving the top burning for either coal to be fully utilized.
I burn bit and wood in combination or exclusively depending on what I load next. The chances are block/lump bit would burn in your appliance, but without underfire air you really wouldn't see the full advantage of coal.

Did you realize Harman makes one that will? TLC2000 will burn coal or wood.

There is no way I would burn coal in the oakwood.

It's a good possibility that your afterburner refractory package is going to be toast in a few years so why speed it up by burning coal.

Status
Not open for further replies.