Just beginning...2012/2013

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
A small BL score split. How's your supply?

Attachments

• IMG_1479.jpg
    IMG_1479.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 771
I just got one (BL)that big too. Irene was very bad for BL.

Beautiful splits, staxs. That is some good looking stuff. I am still working on a big red oak and have other to fail this Fall and that will be all of my wood cuting for the year unless the weather gets something else. I am working in year 2013-14 or 15 right now.

Stacks, that looks good. It will put out some good heat next winter. I think I'm in better shape for 2012/2013 than I am for this winter. I have like 6.5 cords CSS, but most of it isn't really as seasoned as I was hoping. I have another cord or so that is bucked and partially split but not stacked. That puts me to just about march 2013 (i think).

I love to look at my splits but, are you going to leave that in the middle of the yard till next season?

Funny you should ask cygnus...just finished stacking it in a welded log roack that my buddy just gave me. Didn't feel like taking yet another picture.

Stax said:
A small BL score split. How's your supply?

Nice score Stax, should be nice and dry for next year.

zap

Just finished up my 2013-2014 wood supply . . . but I always figure I should keep working in case it's a really bad winter . . . or two . . . and I use up more wood than planned. :)

Getting ahead is important.
Good job.
We'll need more pics as the stack grows. :)

[quote author="Stax" date="1319058698"]A small BL score split. How's your supply?[/quote]

Have enough for at least 5 winters yet.

I think I'm done cutting for this year and next but a rough winter could change that quickly!

Hey Dave, not a show-off at all. Just doing the things I believe work best. Now take this wind back up to Alaska...

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Dave, not a show-off at all. Just doing the things I believe work best. Now take this wind back up to Alaska...

Yea, I know. We all know the work you put in getting several years ahead & most of us know "Why" it's nice to be a multiple years ahead!

I just got a State of AK wood permit for 5 cords ($50). Talked to the AK forestry guy, & they may have some other areas opening up that are easier to harvest.
Now it's take my ATV, cut & haul to the road to load up. We'll see how much I get, but good exercise & "fun", for me anyway.
Hoping they open some easier access areas.
Something to keep me busy thru the winter & get more ahead on good dry firewood. Slow, smart & easy, no more back breaking wood cutting, is the plan anyway.

I didn't think you could store wood for five years.

My neighbore has wood for about two years uncovered in the shade and it looks like its rotten.

How long do you have before wood rots?

firefighterjake said:
Just finished up my 2013-2014 wood supply . . . but I always figure I should keep working in case it's a really bad winter . . . or two . . . and I use up more wood than planned. :)
OR, you do something dumb and hurt yourself and maybe can't cut for a season! :coolsmirk:

Uncle said:

My neighbore has wood for about two years uncovered in the shade and it looks like its rotten.

Many years.
The storage method determines how long wood will last.
Keep it dry, many years.

These are my 12/13 stacks so far. All black locust from Irene. I really need to find something BESIDES black locust for next year!

Attachments

• stack1.jpg
    stack1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 475
  • stack2.jpg
    stack2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 465
Uncle said:

the big red oak i just droppped, bucked split hauled and stacked is punky rotten on the outside and solid inside and now its gonna cook in the sun for 2 years.

i can't tell dead wood quallity from a distance (standing punky stumps with mushrooms growing out of them excepted) so your neighbor's wood pile may be just fine. unless its rotten cuz its sitting in the shade.

OT

i think i'm good for 12/13 but will scrounge a couple more pickup loads.

then i'll start on 13/14. i carved out a staging area in the woods where i can pile rounds that i scrounge. in the spring i will drag a splitter down there and then move the splits to stack near the house to cook for as long as i can. gotta get a woodshed built next spring. it would have been done already but i need to build it out over a slope. needs piers. all worth it for free wood and a warm house all winter.

OT

Looking good. I've been burning here at this house for 3 years and havent been able to get a year ahead yet. I usually have to buy a few truckloads just to get enough for winter. I guess distance is my problem, and schedule as I only get two weekends off ever 5 weeks and the families farm is just far enough we only go when we can all go for a weekend. So maybe once every 5 weeks, and thats mainly after hunting season and until summer.

Uncle said:

My neighbor has wood for about two years uncovered in the shade and it looks like its rotten.

It may look rotten but is it? It may be perfectly seasoned and you're not familiar with what that looks like.

I keep mine outside, uncovered, year round. I keep about three days worth of wood on the covered front porch before I bring it in to burn it. Any surface moisture will have evaporated by the time I burn it. My stack area is in a wide clearing in my woods behind my house. Just out of view to keep my Bride happy. The area catches our prevailing westerly winds and is in sun late morning through much of the afternoon.
It dries out and stays good out there if I keep it off the ground. I use pallets. I've had splits stacked up to three years with no issues.

The little load stacked. Should be at least 2 weeks worth during the coldest parts of winter.

Attachments

• IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 264
Looks good Stax, those splits will be throwing some nice btu's next year.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.