just bought a " 1979" Resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana

Feb 10, 2008
Northern CA
I just purchased a Resolute stamped 1979 inside. The previous owners took good care of the stove, very clean. Enamel still in great condition.
My questions are: the glass in door is in two pieces, there's a small gap in between them, is this supposed to be that way? Also, can I purchase any extras for this stove, side shelves, handle or utensil to open the top for wood loading? Stove came with screen for front, extra paint for any chips, gasket, and a cast iron piece I assume is a possible replacement for the glass front for those who don't want to see the fire?? Also, need an idiot guide, don't really know to much about running a wood burner. There are two or 3 dampers on the stove. Also, wondering if I need to buy the damper for pipe when I purchase pipe. Have been the unhappy owner of a pellet stove for years, so ready to throw that thing OUT.
Thanks for any help, advice.

Do you have the manual?
It is in our wiki.

No damper is needed in the pipe.
The double glass systems did have air coming in between the panes. Various attempts were made to keep the glass cleaner, but most did not work.

You can get some parts for that stove.....here and there. Try Black Swan or Woodsman in our parts place:
https://www.hearth.com/partsplace.html

BTW, your stove is probably newer than 1979 - that is the date stamped into the rear...when it was designed. If the door swings down it is an older model, if it has two doors that swing side to side, it is 1983-1988
ID your stove here:
http://www.discountstove.com/partsvcwbfreestanding.htm

You can probably get solid cast panels to replace the glass. That was the way the stove was originally sold.

The old glass system is a sandwich of two panes with an air space in between:
--The opening in the cast iron door receives a flat gasket.
--Then the first piece of glass goes on that.
--Then theres a gasket with a wire inside (keeps the gasket in the outline of the glass piece) that sits on the first piece of glass.
--The second piece of glass sits on the wire gasket.
--Lastly, small metal tabs held down by screws hold the entire gasket/glass/gasket/glass sandwich in place.

Make sure your gaskets don't drop down out of place to allow air between the cast iron and glass, or air in between the two pieces of glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.