Just bought a house, trying to identify a lovely stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrets

Aug 4, 2015
Connecticut
Hello there, I see quite a few people post here with questions about identifying stoves, I hope you don't mind another!

We just bought a house with a wood stove downstairs. It's gorgeous but has some damage (corrosion/rust, etc). I've looked around for a brand name or any piece of identifying information, but I don't see any. I've also done some Google searches but couldn't find anything that looked quite like this. Do any of you have ideas about what this could be (brand, year, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

full stove.jpg front_closed.jpg front_open.jpg side_closed.jpg

Looks like an old Montgomery Ward stove. I dont think I'd use this as anything more than a fireplace for ambiance at this point.

When we bought our "new" house, we pulled a similar stove out of the garage. The model and identification info was stamped into the back. Not sure you have enough room behind your install to see anything that might be on the back. Maybe get a flashlight and see what you can see.

Is the wall behind the stove solid brick all through? If not that stove would be way too close to combustibles.

Its a franklin type fireplace. There are many no name copies and sometimes the casting quality was poor. They are extremely inefficient one step up from a fireplace. If it doubtful that your insurance company will cover its use if there is no nameplate which would have the minimum clearances. The stove looks too close the wall which call into question the entire installation. My recommendation is don't use it.

Thank you everyone! The replies were going to my email spam folder so I missed all of these. Thanks both for the IDs and the words of caution -- I'm surprised reading this that the previous owner used it at all (she clearly did, there's a log and ash in the stove).

Thank you everyone! The replies were going to my email spam folder so I missed all of these. Thanks both for the IDs and the words of caution -- I'm surprised reading this that the previous owner used it at all (she clearly did, there's a log and ash in the stove).
if they are installed with the required 36" to combustibles they can work fine. They are not efficent at all but just for a recreational fire every so often similar to an open fireplace they are fine. But like others have said unless that wall is all brick not brick over a framed wall it is way to close

As said if the wall is entirely made out of non-combustibles burning in the stove would be safe. Nevertheless, getting a new one in will give you more heat and be safe for sure when you follow its clearance requirements.

Reactions: bholler
That was my first wood stove in 1977. Sitting a lot farther from the wall on the hearth I built the wall would get unbelievably hot. What I now know was too hot. When we moved I went into the attic to get some stuff down and crawled over and saw that the ceiling joists were charred on all sides even though they weren't touching the chimney pipe. My knees got weak thinking about how many nights I had gone to bed with a fire in that thing.

Professionally installed. Done my own installs ever since.

As said, looks like one of the gazillion 'franklin stove' copies. First house I moved into out of college had something vaguely similar...box of fire, ill fitting bi-fold doors, etc. Couldn't get much heat out of the thing until I partially closed the damper to help slow the run-away draft whistling through the leaky doors.

I supposed it could be pressed into service, but for 'real' heat, you'd be miles ahead with an actual 'wood stove'...even a pre-epa version. If you go post-epa, you'll be getting much more usable heat and even cleaner emissions.

As said if the wall is entirely made out of non-combustibles burning in the stove would be safe. Nevertheless, getting a new one in will give you more heat and be safe for sure when you follow its clearance requirements.
Yes, it does appear to be a single brick layer on top of the existing wall. And it is so close to the brick that I could barely even stick a flashlight back there.
It seems like we'll be better off getting a newer one, like Corey mentioned, or sticking with the baseboard heating. :)
Thanks again!

I am on here looking for some stove identification help too! Same situation as ferrets. New house with an unmarked wood burning stove.

Mine has 2 doors and the little oval vents on the front above the doors have flower designs in the center. What kind is it? Any advice on how to disassemble and move it out of the basement safely? Is this something anyone would possibly be interested in if i put it on craigslist (probably for free)?

I really would prefer a nice gas fireplace instead. Any advice on best brands or companies in Minnesota for installation?

I would really appreciate any help!

Attachments

• enc%3DZzYWya7aXLnTjh8Na1-COwB7vVMqzia9drwuz3ybh_0Jcgj_%0A.jpg
    enc%3DZzYWya7aXLnTjh8Na1-COwB7vVMqzia9drwuz3ybh_0Jcgj_%0A.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 181
  • enc%3DxH8jMmckfjk_rh2a4lFjZRXibEoq2g0ZyENS5INpHQU8TKzh%0A.jpg
    enc%3DxH8jMmckfjk_rh2a4lFjZRXibEoq2g0ZyENS5INpHQU8TKzh%0A.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 182
Not sure about the current stove. Is it gas? Start a new thread in the "It's a Gas" forum here for good advice on picking out a new gas stove.

That is an odd installation. What is the low ceiling above the stove, a loft? Make sure that the ceiling clearance requirement for the new gas stove is honored.

Not sure about the current stove. Is it gas? Start a new thread in the "It's a Gas" forum here for good advice on picking out a new gas stove.

That is an odd installation. What is the low ceiling above the stove, a loft? Make sure that the ceiling clearance requirement for the new gas stove is honored.

Thanks for the reply!

The current one is wood burning, but i want to take it out and re-do the basement with a gas fireplace (among other improvements). To me wood in the house = bugs in the house. Do you know what brand or age this thing might be? Or how to properly close the chimney hole that will be there when we are in between units?

The low part of the ceiling is the ductwork that runs parallel to the center support beam. The photos are at funny angles. The low part does not run above the stove, which is good.

Sorry can't ID the stove. Is there a better and closer picture of just the stove front available?

Since you don't want to keep the stove anyway I would not get too hung up trying to identify it. Post it as an old-style (or classic if you want to market it) stove on craigslist together with a close-up picture. For free I am sure someone will take it even if they have to haul it out of the basement. Since fall is coming up you could also ask for ~$200 and see if you have any takers.

For the thimble hole: Stuff some insulation in it and tape some plastic over it. That will be enough until you have figured out what to install there.

Thanks begreen and grisu. Here is a picture, and i do plan on putting it on craigslist soon. Hopefully someone will want it!
20150807_150322.jpg

That's quite the beast. Sell it in October for $250.

Status
Not open for further replies.