Just bought a used Regency I2100*** Insert. Need your help fixing some minor things.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Oct 30, 2009
Hey all,

I have put a few posts up about inserts, chimney liners, inspecting a used insert, in specific about looking at this one Regency I2100***. Original listing was $500. Went with my brother to look at it today. It has the full gold door and the blower. I think its quite a deal... After doing the inspection (per what you guys said), I noticed that that are a few minor things that I need to fix before I install it. I offered $400 and it was accepted.

-I need to replace a few firebricks and the baffle. 4 firebricks are cracked. The connection between the two baffle bricks is starting to deteriorate a little. They are definitely intact, like normal wear on a stove. Not sure if I need to replace them but if theyre not too expensive, I might want to just get them when I go. I was looking at the manual for the insert on regency-fire.com to get firebrick part numbers that I need. The owner had replaced a few of the other bricks and the configuration isnt as shown in the manual. I think I will be replacing all the bricks just to be safe. How much does a full set of firebricks and the two baffles cost?

-A small thing, I am going to need to buy the Flue Bracket Package, maybe $10?

-There are a few small places were the insert is a little rusty. Is this something I can fix with high temperature paint? Does Regency make their own stove paint or would something like a Thurmalox Stove Paint be just as good/better?

-The last thing, the Door Gasket is not properly sealed to the back of the gold door in the little gasket key way. In the manual it is referred to as a "Door Gasket Kit". Can I buy high temperature adhesive and seal the existing gasket back in or do I need to buy a whole "Kit"? The gasket is in pretty good shape.

Thanks in advance for all your help. Sorry for the lengthy post, I just want to get this right.

Kevin

Congratulations, sounds like a nice find. From the description this is sounding like it might be a Regency I2100. Check the back plate to confirm. If this is so, here is a link to the manual:
http://regency-fire.com/getmedia/ac1db77a-36f8-47f5-ad9e-f4bade724b84/908-332-i2100.aspx

The stove should touch up nicely, but it helps to know what paint Regency used so that you can match the color and sheen. Best to ask a Regency dealer for the brick pricing and paint specs. If you can't find that, I'd recommend trying a small paint test on the back of the stove where it won't be visible.

Ya, I looked through that manual, definitely is the I2100... Kinda blew that a little.

Anyone got any other assistance they can give me?

Thanks,
Kevin

Still sounds like you got a heck of a deal, I would have taken that deal in a second (instead I spent 5 times as much!). From what I understand often people continue to use cracked firebricks if they aren't completely disintegrated. But if you replace them I would keep the rest of the intact ones, unless they are super cheap. I don't know whether Regency uses special firebrick or not. If they do I would only replace what's absolutely necessary.

I hope some Regency folks weigh in for you, I know there are a lot of them here! Maybe do a search and if there's a frequent poster who has your same stove you could send him (or her) a pm, I have had a lot of help from folks who have my model (or similar) of stove specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.