Just bought a vc vigilant and have some chimney questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb4020

Nov 21, 2009
SE PA
Hi i just bought an old vc vigilant that has an 8" stove pipe and i will be putting up a triple walled chimney and was planning on doing a 6". I would like to get a new stove in the future such as a jotul oslo which i believe has a 6" stove pipe. My question is: Is a 6" chimney big enough for the vigilant? Thanks for any help. Jason

The Vigilant is a big air gulping heater. It would be best to install it as required by the manufacturer. If the flue height is only single story, then absolutely don't downsize it. The stove can misbehave in some very bad ways if a bloom of wood gas can not be burned at the rate the stove is designed for. You don't want that.

Ok, one possible scenario, if the flue height is tall, greater than 25', then 6" might work, but there are confounding factors that could still make this a temperamental installation. Unless you have a strong experience with wood burning in multiple stoves, it probably is not worth the risk. Personally I'd sell the Vigilant and apply the sale money plus savings on the larger pipe into an Oslo installation. That way you get the tax credit on everything.

BeGreen said:
Personally I'd sell the Vigilant and apply the sale money plus savings on the larger pipe into an Oslo installation. That way you get the tax credit on everything.

Easier said than done. For those that can only afford $400 for a Vigilant you are asking quite a lot for them to pay $1500 minimum for a stove of the same size. Sure, they get the Tax rebate in a few months, but for some people, that is not an option.

The OP mentions he is moving to an Oslo eventually. That's a 2 cu ft stove, so I assumed this was the desired heat range. The Englander 13NC sells for about $800 before tax credit. The big 30NC sells for about $1000.

Let's say 16' of 8" class A with fittings and cap is going to cost about $1200. The same setup in 6" is going to cost about $1000.

So final tally $400 (stove) + $1200 pipe = $1600 - no tax credit
or $800 stove + $1000 pipe = $1800 less 30% = $1260 after TC

This is presuming the Vigilant is in great operating condition. Otherwise add that cost. The new stove will be ready to go. Put another way, for the price of the pipe for the old stove he can have a new setup that is ready to receive the Oslo when they can afford it, in the meantime, saving about 25% of the wood consumption.

The vigilant is what i'll be using i only paid $50 for it. So i will get an 8" flue and will this work for the oslo etc. in the future or will it be too big? Also i need a new right door i know parts are hard to come by any ideas where to get it? Thanks

BeGreen said:
The Vigilant is a big air gulping heater. It would be best to install it as required by the manufacturer. If the flue height is only single story, then absolutely don't downsize it. The stove can misbehave in some very bad ways if a bloom of wood gas can not be burned at the rate the stove is designed for. You don't want that.

Having just purchased and installed a used Vigilant myself, I'm curious to find out what sort of misbehaving can occur. Is an explosion possible?

Battenkiller said:
BeGreen said:

Having just purchased and installed a used Vigilant myself, I'm curious to find out what sort of misbehaving can occur. Is an explosion possible?

If it is in good condition it is a pretty good heater. I'm on my second year with mine and it can really throw some heat. Much like any stove, seasoned wood is key. Try to get the horizontal burn going and if you get it running right you should see very little smoke from your chimney. I mostly only get visible smoke when I add a log. I was able to get 8 hour burns from a full load of wood.

Last year I used the stove 24/7 during a colder than usually winter and I went through 4.5 unseasoned cords. This year should be less.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to discourage use of the Vigilant. It was a good stove, my brother ran one for a couple decades. If that is the plan, then yes, go for the 8". I think it will work for the Oslo, but some details would help. Can you describe how the flue will be run and its height?

I am renovating the house and believe the stove will be in a corner with one side an outside wall. The flue will be approximately 20' of ss double wall pipe. Also i need a new right front door for the vigilant but it seems there are several models and i'm not sure where to find the model number of the one i have? I have found the left door but not the right any ideas? Thanks again for the help

jb4020 said:
I am renovating the house and believe the stove will be in a corner with one side an outside wall. The flue will be approximately 20' of ss double wall pipe. Also i need a new right front door for the vigilant but it seems there are several models and i'm not sure where to find the model number of the one i have? I have found the left door but not the right any ideas? Thanks again for the help

If it is missing both doors, what type of condition is the rest of the stove in?

the stove is in alright condition and not missing either door just the right door has a crack and i'd like to find another door it just seems the replacement places only sell the left door.

Lets see, needs work, not installed yet, no flue set up, and lookin to replace it before its even installed. Broken stove wont keep you warm. But a nice new stove will!!!!

jb4020 said:
the stove is in alright condition and not missing either door just the right door has a crack and i'd like to find another door it just seems the replacement places only sell the left door.

And how was it cracked? I'm guessing abuse.

I am renovating the house and believe the stove will be in a corner with one side an outside wall.

If the flue is straight up, then it should work. However, read up on corner installs in the Olso manual. The side door is supposed to be permanently locked in corner installs. However, if this is a generous hearth and there will be 18" clear on the side door, then maybe it's ok.

thanks i will keep that in mind on my install. I do not know how the door got cracked. I would love a new stove but just bought the house and i can do alot of work when i only paid $50 for this stove and either way i have to put the flu in soo i'm saving alot. I've burnt with a vigilant in my parents house for prolly 10yrs till we got a jotul castine. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.